Gas tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas tank

I have a 101 scout that came with an after market tank that has never stopped leaking no matter how many times it been soldered or sealed. Is there anyone that makes a quality tank,I'm not even looking for original anymore just something doesn't leak.

Where is it leaking at, and what brand of tank sealer? It if leaks at the parting seam its best to do a thorough paint and sealer removal and then a surgical cleaning to prep the halves for soldering. To really document a good soldering process would take a lot of words, and pictures so the question of what brand of sealer is in the tank? If it's Red Kote you can slosh the tank with MEK, or Acetone and prime the tank for another layer of R-K. Other sealers are not as inviting to another layer after a long cure even though they are good sealers.

If your leaks are at the gas, and oil fittings then soldering is the only recourse, but that gets ugly due to sealer in the tank. I had the same problems with a 1916 Excelsior and after years of screwing around with sealers, and spot repairs the final cure was a total strip, clean, and mechanical repair.

I am trying to think of what I would do if I had your problem. Another tank would be great but I don't know where you would find one, and if it is of good quality, or, if it's an original with the same problems you have now. People generally don't sell perfect parts, and if they tell you it's perfect. . . Caveat Emptor (and that's the nice way to say bullshit.

Let us know more about your problem as there are a lot of people here that have had the same gas tank misery's.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

It does have red coat in it Eric which seemed to cure the seam leaks along with many soldering repairs,now it leaks around the sleeve for the compression release which someone previously attempted to repair with epoxy so getting that off is going to be a chore.

Comment

It's like saying to a doctor; if I stop drinking, am I still going to die? Tom Cotten has researched many products that just don't hold up to modern gasoline, but elements like lead perform much better than chemical concoctions. Like they say in physics, "you don't get something for nothing". and gas tank repair is one of those things. Believe me, I empathize with your problem and think you have 2 options; find a better tank, or do the nasty all-out repair. I've heard some people claim success with radiator repair shops but such a shop ruined a 1924 Big Chief tank for me. Personally, I think you would do a better job than anyone else since you have a vested interest in a successful job.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
          ....Tom Cotten has researched many products that just don't hold up to modern gasoline...
          Red Kote survived my immersion tests upon etched glass perfectly, Eric!

And it was one of few,.. almost unique.

Still, a close associate purchased a Euro aftermarket Chief tank, which even after meticulous re-re-soldering, and Red Kote twice, still sweated fuel at a seam.

So TG's frustration is not unique.

....Cotten
          Last edited by T. Cotten; 06-20-2023, 08:48 PM.
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Yes cotton,my exact predicament.

Comment

I hate to send people to other sites, and I know SQUAT about Indian 101's or their tanks.
              I know there is a Indian 101 club on FB but, you probably know that.
              FB also has a Site of Indian parts for sale upto 1953 tanks do get listed there again likely you are aware

Indian tank $175.jpg

Indian tank $1250.jpg

I am a big fan of RedKote but if that has failed consider Caswell Coating
              There is Dinihanian in the magazine I believe he used to advertise tank repair, but the last person I suggested this to never heard back, so there is that.

Finally in the AMCA magazine Archives/past issues there is a two part article on resoldering tanks
              Last issue of 1993 & First issue of 1994:

N1-94: Gas Tank Repair Part II

N4-93: Gas Tank Repair Part I.

Sorry man that's all I got.

Oh, one more thing Mr. Garcia (This is like a Columbo episode)

Consider looking at Members Bike Builds Title 101 . . . This is Going to Take awhile
              Harry shows some tank work on his build.

Good Luck
              Last edited by PaulCDF; 06-21-2023, 07:10 AM.

Comment

Thanks PaulCDF I didn't know about any of the Facebook pages, I don't have FB but I might have to consider it seeing how 101 stuff is very limited it appears. I may have to just try and repair this one again.

Comment

For what it's worth - I have known Vahan Dinihanian in Portland, OR for a long time. You may want to try to contact him. If interested, use the email address in his AMCA magazine ad (or send me a PM - I have a cell phone number that may still be active.)

Comment

Originally posted by jcrawford View Post
                    For what it's worth - I have known Vahan Dinihanian in Portland, OR for a long time. You may want to try to contact him. If interested, use the email address in his AMCA magazine ad (or send me a PM - I have a cell phone number that may still be active.)
                    jcrawford does he do tank repair?

Comment

Travis, I think he has done tank work in the past. You will need to ask him if he still does (and if so, say hello from me.) John

Comment

Working...
                      X