Sport Scout Toolbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sport Scout Toolbox

I have a question on 36-39 battery ignition, toolbox mounting. Is the toolbox welded to the battery cradle? I’ve attached Greer’s drawing showing the bracket on the battery cradle. I’ve also attached a photo from Hatfield’s book, where it appears the toolbox and the battery cradle are one piece. Can anyone give me a definitive answer on how the toolbox should be attached. Thank You for any help you can offer.

EB49BC39-A32A-423A-A853-E5608512C9CB.png I found this photo of a 1937 Sport Scout restored by Greer’s with the battery cradle in finished paint, so obviously the toolbox and battery cradle are not one piece. Any help is appreciated.

Comment

Rusty
      I snagged these pics off ebay Ziggy has them for sale Battery cradle separate from toolbox.

indian motorcycle 1936 sport scout battery tray a.jpgindian motorcycle 1936 sport scout battery tray b.jpgindian motorcycle 1936 sport scout battery tray c.jpg

Comment

PaulCDF, Thank You for your response. My battery cradle has the added brace that supports the bottom of the toolbox. I’m trying to determine if, and how, the toolbox attaches to the brace on the battery cradle.

Comment

I looked at Hatfields picture and it is an added on bracket to battery cradle.

Comment

Tomfiii, Thank You for your response. According to Hatfield 35-36 SS didn’t have the toolbox bracket, it was added in 37. 37-39 SS battery cradles had the bracket.

Comment

From Jerry Greer website the bottom brace is welded to the battery tray mount

8E475369-3B9E-44EC-BB0C-70978E2D2EEE.jpeg ​​​​​​ 40C849A9-CDBC-4C77-8A11-12CB8A1115E0.jpeg

The toolbox has a strap up top that must go to the 5/16-24 hole at the back of the front frame section. It doesn’t show if there is a screw from battery bracket slotted hole to the bottom of the tool box?

FFF2D8DC-A3BC-4F7F-BDFF-99C058F374DA.jpeg

The top mounting hole

61A7A045-9168-443B-9DFC-C4FE202F6C66.png
              but no screw shown?

Comment

From the 1940 parts list….

9FCD9929-CAF8-4DB1-8D99-9A13E6F86DFD.jpegAEF80F62-C88C-4B44-8739-B7292B493936.jpeg

I guess the parts that apply for the 1937 are

85837 tool box assy (B) 1937-1939-45SS

(B) for battery, (M) for mag

37101 support screw 5/16-24 std (3) 1936-1939-45SS (B)

I’m confused by the (3) screws, one goes from the top bracket to the back of the frame, where do the other two go? The bracket on the battery tray mount has one slotted hole, so that’s another screw, where does the third go?

So more information for you, don’t know if it clears anything up for you.

Comment

FLFD, Thank You for responding. Part #37101 is the top toolbox bolt into the frame and the two upper battery cradle bolts into the frame. Part #37137 is the two lower battery cradle bolts into the transmission. I have a friend with an original 1937 Sport Scout, there is no bolt or stud thru the slot in the brace on the battery cradle. It seems weird to me, but I’m starting to believe the toolbox just sits down on top of the bracket and is not fastened to the bracket.

Comment

Oh now I see, the 5/16-24 screws that hold the battery mount to the front frame half. I think you are right, the toolbox just sits on that little pedestal, no fastener. Wonder why Greer showing a slotted hole there then?

Are you going to put anything between the toolbox and pedestal like a piece of rubber?

Comment

FLFD7, My friends original 1937 Sport Scout is slotted also. Yes, I’m thinking of using clear silicone caulk, less obvious with the added benefit of a little holding power.

Comment

Working...
                      X