No announcement yet.

copper head gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So which did the Wigwam produce for aluminum heads?

Sorry to get back to subject, Folks.

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
      So which did the Wigwam produce for aluminum heads?

Sorry to get back to subject, Folks.

....Cotten
      I guess I'll have to find somebody who knows at Davenport, Folks.

There's an explanation for the work-hardening of copper head gaskets in duty, but copper-lovers ain't gonna like it.

And the heat diagram I posted described a motor with an insulating composite gasket. If indeed a copper gasket would conduct more,.. then the cylinder temperatures would elevate, and it would distort accordingly.

....Cotten

AMCA #776

Comment

That's a good point, and makes sense, Tom.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Wouldn't the exhaust port be the hottest part of any engine?

Comment

Originally posted by larry View Post
            Wouldn't the exhaust port be the hottest part of any engine?
            Almost, Larry,..

If we define the hottest part by a peak temperature, the Armored School graphic suggests the exhaust valve is more than twice the combustion chamber! Obviously, the engine only survives because combustion heat is expelled, and the exhaust valve takes the brunt of it.

The valve head cools itself by momentary contact with the seat, and the rest of the gaps are somehow enough to shield the valve springs, which would certainly suffer if they came close to that temp.
            As far as the ports, its obvious why the exhausts have more finnage (but not so obvious one why the fronts, which get more wind, have the most. Shouldn't they need less than the rears that are out of the wind?).

Conducting more heat from the head to the cylinder is hard to justify. An inherent problem with flattys is the distortion of a very eccentric casting, with valves on the same side that have opposite heat environments. Most designs chose to isolate the head and let it cook.

...Cotten
            PS: I have always contended that the front exhaust assembly suffers the most heat, based upon the fossil record. Why wasn't it the rear?
            Last edited by T. Cotten; 08-29-2022, 05:10 PM.
            AMCA #776

Comment

Maybe a vertical throttle plate favors the rear with a richer mixture.
              Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tfburke3 View Post
                Maybe a vertical throttle plate favors the rear with a richer mixture.
                Tom
                No doubt the vertical plate has its issues, Tom!

But I witnessed heat signatures favored the front on many chubbles and sports as well.

My reasoning isn't always rational, so I would really really like to know what Indian used for aluminum heads.

....Cotten
                AMCA #776

Comment

I have used copper on my ss for 30 years, with aluminum paint. With very good results, used paint on them on advise from Mr Lee Standley. He said to do it and I did, make sure none of your bolt's bottom and mess things up, good luck Eric. Doing mine as we speak

Comment

Working...
                  X