1940 Thirty-Fifty Jr. Scout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1940 Thirty-Fifty Jr. Scout

Can anyone provide me with a source for the header, Y pipe for the1940 Indian 30-50? If not a source for a new reproduction header what are your suggestions for the fabrication of one? Thanks for any information that you can provide.
    Jim D

Jim;

I am just 'spit-balling' here but, as he is retiring and may have something in his used parts pile I would start with
    Gary Stark:

https://www.starklite.com/

Then (a 2010 post recommended) Robin Markey at Bob's Indian Sales in Etters Pa

https://www.bobsindiansales.com/

Then

https://www.ziggysmotorworks.com//

Then

http://www.parkerindian.com.au/

Failing those or maybe before consider fabricating a header pipe:
    What is the diameter of the exhaust port?
    Could a 741 or Scout header be adapted?
    Do you have access to a tubing bender and welding gear?

Again just thinking.

Comment

I checked some of your sources but not all of them, but I will follow up on them. I was a custom metal fabricator and do have full shop with welding gear and finishing equipment. I may have to go that direction. I have a 741 header on loan now, but it would take some work to make it work, I also have the original header that is beyond saving but would be a good pattern. I thought I should ask what is out there before I start fabricating. The bike is mostly together right now so I can fit whatever I have or do on it. Thanks
      Jim D

Comment

Jim
        Good luck, please keep me posted on how you make out, and if you get the chance post some pictures sounds like a really nice bike.

Comment

Didn't Jethro Smith do a 1940 Jr on here?
          Maybe he can make the exhaust.....Moto Smith on here.

Comment

Is this his site: Antique Moto Smith?

Comment

I will check out the Antique Moto Smith site too. And thanks to everyone for all of the leads and suggestions.
              Jim D

Comment

I've got your problem with a '41 Sport Scout, Jim. I have a 741 header, and the remains from a Chief. In my case it looks like the Chief stuff will work better but there is going to be lots of cutting, welding, and grinding to make things go where they need to go. From looking at pictures of the 1940 Jr. Scout I think you'll have more straight pipe, and fewer obstacles to work around and that is advantageous for you. The tough part is the header pipes from the exhaust ports, and getting them radiused to the right angle. I've seen chopper tubing sold in kit form that supplies different radii tubing that you can weld together.to fit your application. The grim reality of exhaust systems is they have to be fitted to the bike, and that is particularly true for rare, and uncommon bikes. Harleys, and Indian Chiefs are well supported, and engineered by the aftermarket companies, but not for any of the odd ball bikes I've screwed around with. On the positive side for you, the Jr. exhaust system is painted black, so you don't have to worry about getting jerked around by a plater. .
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

There is a system made for creating exhaust headers etc. that utilizes either plastic or foam pieces that fit together in almost any configuration...some extremely tight bends etc are possible. This way you can do all your experimenting or designing and with all the clearances, spacing, lengths, radii, in an actual size model without cutting, bending and wasting any pipe. The name escapes me at the moment but this tool is worth its weight in gold when fabricating custom headers etc. I'm sure it could be found on the internet or maybe someone on here knows of it. Hope this helps.......Smitty

Comment

Working...
                  X