Hardware Finish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardware Finish

What is the correct finish on the nuts and bolts on a “37” Sport Scout? I’ve been told everything should be nickel plated. Greer’s lists no finish on the bolts, cad finish on the washers and nuts. I would assume a “37” Chief would be the same finish. Thank You

Most hardware nickel including zerks with some chrome exceptions like handlebar grip nuts and brake lever, headlight bezel and special order chrome. Exceptions are anything autolyte and seat nuts. Seat nuts special, came on seat from Messinger and are cad. Autolyte cad.

Comment

Marty, when did Indian switch to cadmium? Was it all at once or certain parts as they transitioned.
      Dave

Comment

Indian switched to cad in 1939. Early 1939 bikes had nickel as it was used up. Good example Leon Blackmun 39 Four.
        Prior to 39, most hardware nickel except certain pieces in chrome or special order chrome. Spokes were typically cad and rims could be ordered in cad. My original 38 Chief rims still has the cad intact.
        Other exceptions came from other manufacturers like Autolye, which were cad. Messenger made seats and supplied special seat nuts in cad.

Comment

Carb small hardware remained a mix of cad and nickle, Folks,..

Through '42 or so.

I don't think they worried about it the way we do.

....Cotten
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thanks, Tom, forgot to mention carbs. Carbs made by Schebler at the time and they followed their own rationale on plating.

Comment

Originally posted by bikerdds View Post
              Thanks, Tom, forgot to mention carbs. Carbs made by Schebler at the time and they followed their own rationale on plating.
              And it raises so many questions, Marty!

Allegedly, the potmetal Schebs came out in June of '29, and we know they used pressed steel bowl lids.
              For certain, later productions through '39 were cad.
              Were there ever nickel productions of the early "short" lid?

Or was cad used as early as '29!

...Cotten
              AMCA #776

Comment

Thought the pic below might be helpful. Can't say when this carb was actually manufactured, but guessing mid '40s. The label on the box has what I think is a date code in the lower left corner that says 12-45. I got it new in the box several decades ago and it is sitting on someone else's shelf now

DSC05198a.JPG

Comment

Fantastic pic of a '40, Wallaman!

It has delightful surprises for me, as not only is the bowlnut unique, I would have expected it would be cad. And the truncated chokeshaft isn't what I would expect either.

It reaffirms a copper crushwasher, rather than red vulcanized rubber. I'm only confused why the bowl is indexed one-eighty-off.

Thanks very much,

....Cotten
                  AMCA #776

Comment

Cotton,
                    My bad. I took it apart to take pics and document all the parts inside and out before I sold it. Put it back together and probably wasn't paying attention to the bowl placement. Pics are a few years old, so honestly don't remember, but I was surprised by the bowl nut as well.
                    Chuck S.

Comment

Working...
                    X