Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Indian Vertical Handlebars Mid-Rise Original?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Vertical Handlebars Mid-Rise Original?

I recently purchased these bars from someone in MS. They were advertised as Indian vertical and appear to be the type commonly found on the Indian Road Warrior models.
    Can any one of you verify what these are?
    Thanks.
    -JR
    Attached Files

Here are the measurements;
    Here are the measurements;
    riser spacing, inside to inside=2" exact, outside to outside=4" exact.
    bend to riser axis=6 1/2"
    end to end measurement=32 1/4"
    top of one grip to top of other grip=21"
    circumference of tubing= 2 2/4"

Wally at BMB Cycles said there were three types listed in the manuals; standard, English style (Arrow and Scout) and Western (TT).
    Are these then an example of what Indian considered "standard" in the 1949-1951 range?

-JR

Comment

Don't know name terminology but will add I've seen a handful of 49 Scouts with the high bars on them exactly as pictured. My two very original 249s have the lower more commonly seen bars. I would be surprised if those you bought are not original from Indian.
      Jason Zerbini
      Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
      Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

Pete Sink seems to think all the preliminary info indicates they are in fact original. Wally is also doing a little research and will let us know what he finds.
        The ad I found says there were also accessory bars; one is obviously not these PN 1889021 which have completely different measurements.
        Then there is the updated parts list with an accessory PN 1889016 which is called "Semi-Rise Handlebars 7/8" designed for clamp-on controls."
        Low bars are also called "English" in the list. Then there is "Western," also called "Hi-Rise" bars, which you can't really mistake for any other type. Then the list says, "standard," which is what I think they are saying these are, if the parts numbers changed or there is another type.
        Robin Markey once told me Indian made all handlebars for the verticals in-house. I don't know of any company that made reproduction bars after 53, though I have seen Flanders F5 bars on verticals. I purchased a set once thinking, well they were on a vertical so they must be original or correct. Live and learn.
        Thank you for your input.
        -JR
        Attached Files

Comment

Indian Vertical English Style Handlebars.JPGComparison of Handlebar Sets Upper High Bars and Lower Semi Rise.JPG
          Here's an interesting historical article that just makes you wonder about parts documentation all over again.
          The handlebars from MS in the photo are most likely High Bars--Western. The article confuses the three bar documentation and mentions a "mid-rise western" style and according to other people and the parts lists, this was not done by the company at all. There are other technical innovations mentioned in the description of the 1950 Warrior that make you wonder what was really the same and what was really "different" about Warrior models. The photos show English, then in the second photo, the other two known types; high bars on top and standard on the bottom.
          -JR Indian for 1950 p.22 Pow Wow 1981 summer fall.jpg
          Last edited by JTR249; 06-03-2023, 06:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X