fuel tanks 38 scout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel tanks 38 scout

It is awesome to be here. I have a38 sport scout project bike. I have fuel tanks that mount to the sport scout, but there are some issues with them such as rust inside and petcocks are not in the right location. So I am looking for replacement tanks or any info regarding these tanks.
    Any help is appreciated.
    Jim Dixon

Welcome to the forum Jim.

Hopefully we'll be able to help to get a tank going on your 38 Scout that will get you going.

I guess the good thing is that some previous owner had gotten some tank mounted on there and maybe that can be used until you get an actual Scout tank. In the mean time maybe fellow forum members can help you figure out how to clean out the tank and adapt a way to route a fuel line with the existing pet cock.

Mike Love

Comment

Welcome Jim!!!!'
      Any pictures of that 38?????

Comment

Well, like I say it is a project, so pictures are not yet available. A little history- I purchased this bike back in 1971. It was the first bike I bought after I got out of the service. I tinkered with it, rode it around a lot and after some personal issues I sold the bike. The guy had it a while and crashed it. He sold it to another guy as a basket case. This tinkered with it, but about a year ago this guy calls me and asks if I want to buy the bike back. "Of course" says I, and a deal was struck. When it came time for the transfer of paper work I found out the title was still in my name, nobody transfered the title. Good for me!

Comment

That is a Cool story! GREAT when something like that returns to you. Does not happen very often.

Comment

The '38 Sport Scout is a great looking bike, Jim and well worth doing. In regards to tanks, I would bite the bullet and get new welded tanks if they are still available. If your current original tanks are in restorable condition, the petcock bungs can be moved. I've done more than a few original Indian tanks and they can present a host of problems because you really have to get them right. I would call all the vintage Indian parts suppliers and see if they have a set of welded Scout tanks. Good luck with your '38.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

I'm still looking for tanks, but in the mean time I'd like to try and get it running since I don't know if it will fire up because it was rebuilt by someone I don't know anything about. I believe the oil tank section is in OK condition so my plan is to get oil lines hooked up and run a remote fuel tank to the carb. I still need some fittings for the oil lines and run wires to the necessary components along with hooking up spark and throttle linkages. Wish me luck.

Comment

GOOD LUCK!!!! You got this!!!

Comment

Working...
                X