Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rustynutz
    replied
    FLFD7, Thank you for posting. Your SS is stunning. I’m going to lace the wheels using the posted offsets, then install it in the related fork to make sure the wheel is centered before final truing.

Leave a comment:

• rustynutz
    replied
    exeric, Thanks for posting. I’m always interested in seeing how fellow enthusiast accomplish their projects. I’ve been known to use whatever is available to complete the task at hand.

Leave a comment:

• FLFD7
    replied
    Rustynutz,

I laced the wheels on my 39 Sport Scout and I used the dimensions given in the 640B manual. I measured the wheels before I took them apart, and they measured the same as the book. All 18” Sport Scout front wheels are the same (except they welded a backing plate on the 1940 and up hubs), so the 1 1/8” holds for all. I also found some notes I took and I had measured the rear at 1 1/2”. Hope this helps.

A2849C0F-A065-49E9-913C-B16CA51CEAD3.jpegB8A9C6F6-671D-400D-AF9C-11C8DEB0DD0B.jpegE457C25F-A6E1-44E7-BB52-696E39FCF0C8.jpeg

Leave a comment:

• exeric
    replied
    I did lace, and true my '41 SS wheels in the fork, and rear frame section. That worked exceptionally well because the hubs were built with new bearings, and to specs and trued into the place they're going to live. My cell phone does take good pics but I'm not very good at getting them edited, and into files. I hope these picturesjc.jpgje.jpgja.jpgjb.jpg show something of value.

Leave a comment:

• exeric
    replied
    I guess the 1940 SS would be different than any SS before, or after You have to wonder who made the decisions at Indian when it came to the Sport Scout. They had a winning bike that should have been a money making hit; but too many cooks in the kitchen. Thanks for your insight, rusty.

Leave a comment:

• rustynutz
    replied
    Exeric, Thank You, for your reply. The 40 SS dimensions you posted are verified in the “Operation and Maintenance” manual for Model 640-B. However the 40 SS rear frame is 2” wider then a 35 SS rear frame. I’m making the assumption that 35-39 are the same width. I know nothing about the 41 - 42 SS, but the 40 SS is 10 /2” between the rear frame castings if that is any help to you. Thank You, again.

Leave a comment:

• exeric
    replied
    I found this in the notes I got with my '41 SS:

1940 SS 18"rims front 1.125" offset, from drum face, to edge of rim
    1940 SS 18"rims rear 1.500" offset, from drum face, to edge of rim
    1942 SS 16"rims front .750" offset, from drum face, to edge of rim
    1942 SS 16"rims rear 1.125" offset, from drum face, to edge of rim

I assume the 18" rim offsets for the 1940 SS would be the same for the earlier Sport Scout models, (that is just an assumption), as are the figures I posted. I would like to see verification of these dimensions, AND, the offset for '41-42 Sport Scouts with 18" rims.

I've laced and trued countless wheels, and worst case, you true the wheels in the fork and frame. Ultimately the wheel and tire need to be centered to the fender mounts (math involved), and frames, and forks need to be true. Fenders can be all screwed up so based on what you're working with, compromises may be necessary. Factory numbers are a good base-line but adjustments may be needed for an 80 year old motorcycle.

Leave a comment:

• rustynutz
    started a topic Sport Scout Wheels

Sport Scout Wheels

Preparing to lace Sport Scout front and rear wheels. Do any of you know the rim offset from the drum flange on a 1936 - 1939 Sport Scout? Thank You!
Working...
X