Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Edison-Splitdorf Magneto as a Replacement for the Indian Vertical Edison-Wico Magneto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edison-Splitdorf Magneto as a Replacement for the Indian Vertical Edison-Wico Magneto

I recently read an article authored by Rick Giles where he mentioned that at some point in the Indian motorcycle history after 1951, since there were starting issues with the Indian vertical magnetos, they replaced this with an Edison-Splitdorf magneto Type RM 2--the same as used on the 648 Daytona Sport Scout and Indian Four motorcycles.
    In the article, Rick mentioned that there were other modifications that had to be made such as a longer armature drive shaft modified to fit into the oil pump opening, use of a distributer and possibly regrinding the cam profile that opens the ignition points to fire at 180 degree intervals.
    I do not know very much about swapping out replacement parts, so any general feedback about what will need to be done will help answer a few questions.
    If I actually tried this, I would do the swap on an Indian Road Warrior. Giles said in the article that Clem Murdaugh also did this on a Warrior and he never had any starting issues after the change.

-JR
    Attached Files

I dont know about a swap but a along time ago my friend bought a really nice 249 that had magneto problems.
    We mounted a coil and wired the mag points as a distributor,got it running and after a few rides traded it to Chuck Miles for chief.
    Tom

Comment

Unless made specifically for an Indian twin, the firing interval must be modified to 318° - 402° - 318° (a H-D twin would be 315° - 405° - 315°).
      No V-twin has exactly alternate firing, the cylinders' combustion events are most frequently separated by their "V" angle (added to one cylinder, deducted from the other).
      The Linkert Book

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I think based on what I have read and from talking to Jim and Pete, the basic solution was to rewind the coil(s) with modern wire. I saw this in an Indian Illustrated article once also. We'll see how long they last after I have the Arrow and Scout bikes ready. That will be a good indication if time and technology improve performance of the antique bike.
        -JR

Comment

Originally posted by kitabel View Post
          Unless made specifically for an Indian twin, the firing interval must be modified to 318° - 402° - 318° (a H-D twin would be 315° - 405° - 315°).
          No V-twin has exactly alternate firing, the cylinders' combustion events are most frequently separated by their "V" angle (added to one cylinder, deducted from the other).
          He is talking about a vertical twin, not a V-twin. Intervals are different, he needs 180.
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

That's what I thought. Giles says that in the article.
            It is always easy to get confused on this issue if you are new to verticals or have never heard of them. I always wondered why would they name a new model design something so similar to the larger V-Twin models. Go figure. Maybe because they were all very similar in design and if you didn't know the difference, you wouldn't be able to identify the motor unless you had the serial number.
            -JR

Comment

Unless made specifically for an Indian twin, the firing interval must be modified to 318° - 402° - 318° (a H-D twin would be 315° - 405° - 315°).....
              I've got one like that freshly refurbished, Folks!

....If anybody needs one bad.

.....Cotten
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Sorry, duh!
                Engage brain befor putting fingers in motion
                The Linkert Book

Comment

Sorry, duh!
                  Engage brain befor putting fingers in motion
                  That happens to the best of us, Kitabel!

A funny mag with a drive something like that came home with me from D-port,...

But its for a single.

I have absolutely no clue about it

....Cotten
                  AMCA #776

Comment

Do you mean you have an Edison-Splitdorf RM or did you mean you have an Edison-Wico for the Arrow single #72013?
                    -JR

Comment

Originally posted by JTR249 View Post
                      Do you mean you have an Edison-Splitdorf RM or did you mean you have an Edison-Wico for the Arrow single #72013?
                      -JR
                      Sorry, JTR 249,..

I have the one desireable for most Indian v-twins, and then I have this funny thing I was going to gift to my Mag Man.

SNGLMAG.jpg

Please tell me you need it real bad...

....Cotten
                      AMCA #776

Comment

Ok. I see what you mean now. The Giles article said they used those on agricultural equipment as well as motorcycles.
                        -JR

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post

Sorry, JTR 249,..

I have the one desireable for most Indian v-twins, and then I have this funny thing I was going to gift to my Mag Man.

SNGLMAG.jpg

Please tell me you need it real bad...

....Cotten
                          Looks like a mag for a Wisconsin motor to me

Comment

Originally posted by Arley View Post
                            Looks like a mag for a Wisconsin motor to me
                            The green overspray makes me think air-compressor, Arley!

The fellow who let me have it thought so too.

....Cotten
                            AMCA #776

Comment

How much are the caps? Mine was busted when I received it in the mail. First time that's ever happened. The small, tan disk inside the cover that is attached to a rod was also broken.
                              Any estimates on cost of these two parts?
                              Thanks.
                              -JR

Comment

Working...
                              X