Proper tool kit items for a 24 Scout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper tool kit items for a 24 Scout

I want to assemble what would have been supplied as a toolkit for a Scout in 1924. Does anyone have a photo of what a complete kit includes?

If you do not get a response from someone who knows here, send Jim Parker of Parker Indian located in Australia an email. He has an interest in early Indian models and should be able to tell you.
    Go to parkerindian.com and find his email there or just call him. He is a very down-to-earth individual and always willing to help Indian motorcycle owners and enthousiasts.
    -JR

Comment

Not sure how much help this is. These are listed in a factory accessory catalog from about 1930 (dated 8-29), but are a bit different from the early stamped stuff. Indian tool kit.jpg
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks JR, Funny that is the one shop you would recommend as although I and the 24 Scout are in the USA the bike actually was bought from Parker Indian two years ago and imported back here so I will reach out to him. And Rubone, I have never seen those wrenches as apposed to the flat steel ones with Indian on them. I see many on Ebay so I'll do a little more research before I start throwing $$$ around.

Daron

Comment

I like the the punch that is the type that will loosen any nut that is to hard to reach with a wrench.
          But no hammer?
          Tom

Comment

My favorite hammer... DCP_2783.JPGDCP_2784.JPG
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

The 4 monkey wrenches from the far left are all "Indian" marked.
              DCP_2254.JPG
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by tfburke3 View Post
                I like the the punch that is the type that will loosen any nut that is to hard to reach with a wrench.
                But no hammer?
                Tom
                You could use the monkey wrench, or this:

rock.jpg
                AMCA #41287
                1971 Sprint SS350 project
                1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
                1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
                1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
                96" Evo Softail self built chopper
                2012 103" Road King "per diem"
                plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
                  That is a really nice hammer.
                  Thanks to all you old pic posters.
                  Tom

Comment

I have quite a few of the stamped steel Indian wrenches, the different monkey wrenches and several of the VL CHEK motorcycle hammers I can sell.
                    It is my understanding that the original wood handle screwdriver and the pliers were never stamped/marked Indian like the other wrenches.
                    A majority of the stamped steel wrenches were stamped Indian Motocycle, the rarer stamped steel wrenches were just stamped "Indian".
                    2 of the harder wrenches to find are the "alligator" wrench and the bent/angled spark plug wrench.

Comment

DCP_2252.JPG
                      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
                        No doubt Rubone!

A tire spoon impossible to hit with its hammer is too funny.

Originally posted by joe fxs fxr View Post

You could use the monkey wrench, or this:

rock.jpg
                        Been there done that, Joe!

FARSIDE.jpg

One of my favorite hammers is my racing kickstand, proven upon a 101 at Davenport...

KICKSTAND.jpg

My 'monkey wrenches' vary greatly, but like the Accessory Catalog example, have no script; My example with the later fashioned handle which has no script, but should have, was declared Cadillac!

....Cotten
                        Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-16-2021, 04:22 PM.
                        AMCA #776
                        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

All the Indian Monkey wrenches are marked as such, along with the wrench manufacturers markings, including the type as pictured in the accessory catalog. It is a rollmark and not too deep in any of them.
                          The first type is marked Indian Motocycles over Hendee Mfg Co over Springfield Mass USA. The name is right above the two rivets.
                          The second also Indian Motocycles over Hendee Mfg Co over Springfield Mass USA. The logo is pretty obvious on this one on the shank.
                          The third the same as the first two, all made by Wakefield. Also on the shank but next to the top jaw.
                          And the last marked Indian in the forging and with the Circle M foundry mark.
                          The one in the accessory catalog is the riveted type
                          Lots of makes had their logs on their wrenches, I have a Curtiss, a Pope, a Pierce, a couple different Iver Johnson, etc.nd the last marked with script in the forging and a circled M Foundry mark.
                          And then there were the odd generic like the little pipe wrench type.

image_27845.jpg
                          image_27846.jpg
                          Last edited by Rubone; 03-16-2021, 05:27 PM.
                          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Motor-officer Check your inbox

Comment

I just saw your post and may be able to help. Attached are a couple of photos of the tool roll that came with my 1924 Scout. This bike was exported new to Australia but found its way back to the US more recently. It is currently with Randy Walker undergoing a full restoration. Most of the tools are branded with Indian Motocycles. I did repaint the screwdriver handle as it was pretty beat up but the rest of the tools are in original condition. The whole lot rolls up into a compact bundle which fits into the tool box. Hope this helps.
                              Peter

image2 (2).jpegimage1 (11).jpegimage0 (13).jpeg Daron,

​​ ​​ ​​
                              Last edited by AussieIndian; 01-06-2023, 05:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X