Tires on a 741

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tires on a 741

I have a stock 741 in civilian livery. I want to strip it down to make it more like a bobber (keeping all the original parts of course). What I would like to know if anyone can help me is this. Can I put a fatter tire on the stock rims? It currently has 4.00 x 18. Can this bike take a 4.50? I just think I would like the look of a fatter tire. If not what else can I do? Can I switch to a different rim or does that get too complicated. I do want an easy project and sometime I can easily undo.
    Thanks,
    Pat

Fatter is not better. Don't bother. Set a direction -and follow it.

you can use brit or jap rims and hubs.

Comment

Admin guy.. nah I don't wanna go for the jap or brit rims. I was just asking the question because a lot of the older race bikes I see depicted in my books show a much beefier tire. I'm just trying to learn what guys did to bob up there bikes. If a beefier tire to emulate the race bikes was something that can be done on a stock rim. Also in Indian buyers guide there are numerous mentions of a 4.50 x 18 inch tire as a stock tire. I am wondering if this is a misprint?

Comment

I've use 4.50 X 18 on several of my bikes and like the looks of them over the 4.00 X 18. I don't think I would go any bigger without changing rims/wheels.

TR

Comment

Thanks TR. It's starting to sound like I might go with the 4.50 by 18 tires on my 741. There are a nice set of military ANS tires on Coker's website. Thanks for the input and anyone else that has advise or input please feel free to add. I am all ears.

Comment

Working...
          X