Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Identify this Bike?

Hi Guys,
    I originally posted this thread under the "Chief Forum". Then thanks to c.o. discovered that here is where I should be.
    I'm considering starting a new project bike this year and need some help. I am completly ignorant when it comes to Indian motorcycles but as a child my uncle had one that he used to ride me around on. Anyway I'd like to find one just like he had for my next project bike. My uncle is long gone so I can't ask him what year bike he had. My aunt found a photo of him on his bike but didn't know what year it was either. A couple quick questions for you guys.
    1)-Can you identify the year and model of attached photo?
    2)-What chance would I have of finding one theses days?
    3)-What should I expect to pay for one?
    Thanks for any help you can give me. -Steve-
    Attached Files

Junior Scout

Howdy Pod-nah!

1)-Can you identify the year and model of attached photo?
    Looks like a 1936-37 Junior Scout (30 cubic inch motor)

2)-What chance would I have of finding one theses days?
    They were an entry level bike, not produce in large quantities.
    Chances are slim. A Sport Scout (45 cubic inch motor) is more common, and a better bike to ride longer distances on.

3)-What should I expect to pay for one?
    Prices vary... because they are scarce. A restored one would be about 13,000?... Hard to say.

Comment

Ya know Ohio, you also could compromise and pick-up a civilianized 741 military model. I guess it all depends what you plan on doing with the bike. If your looking at serious riding you may want to look at the 45 like pninaud said....or possibly a Chief project.......

Comment

Wow- As I said before. I knew I came to the right place. I'm not so much looking for a completly restored bike as I am a restorable bike. I enjoy working on them as much as riding em. When complete the bike will be ridden weekly but only at parade speeds. I got other toys for bar hopping and such.
        Yeah Pod-nah when you say, "entery level" does that mean like a sportster or a trail bike or what?
        Good to hear from ya c.o. ---Steve-

Comment

Hey Ohio, I used to live in Madison and had a guy named Ron Thomas out of Painesville build an Indian Chief motor for me in the mid 80's. Just wondering if you know of him and if he is still around, thanks.

Louie

Comment

Hey Steve,

I was just cruising around the ol' net and noticed that there's a few bikes and or projects for sale on www.virtualindian.org There is actually a '37 Sport Scout when you scroll down, it would look somewhat similar, but is again a bigger bike.

As far as entry level goes as far as I'm concerned if it's Indian and pre-1953, it's cool.....

Good Luck!!!

Comment

Ohio
              There's a C1923 Chief, thats about 85% complete, for sale here in N.Z. at present. It's got a genuine Indian sidecar chassis with it.
              The guy that owned it passed away and his widow wants to sell the partially completed project. I need another project like I need a hole in the head so I passed it over but if you're interested
              e-mail me and I'll put you in contact. p.j.thomson@actrix.co.nz

Tommo

Comment

Thanks for info guys. I can see I need to think a little longer about which direction I'm going to take. As I said before I'm ingnorant about Indian cycles but I'm learning as I go thanks to all your knowledge.
                Thanks for the lead Tommo but for now I'm going to educate my self a bit on these 37 Junior Scouts so I don't start off down the wrong rode right off the bat. -Steve

Comment

Working...
                X