Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Way too many questions about my new Scout project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Way too many questions about my new Scout project.

Hoping for any kind of help with my new project. I bought it knowing I was going to take it apart and wipe all the ugly off of it, and knowing I was going to be replacing several things to create a period modified style bike.
    I went to the Sunshine meet but there was nothing. I was able to spend an afternoon with Doc Batsleer but it didn't seem that he wanted to turn any of his parts loose so I was back to the project bike that was offered to me a couple months ago for a very attractive price.
    I drove 13 hours on Wednesday from Atlanta, GA to Madison, WI to stay with family and see a sick friend. Thursday, I drove up to Minneapolis to get the bike but not before picking up two large screws in my perfectly good front left tire. Made it up on the spare, loaded the bike and turned around for the trip back to Madison. Yesterday, I spent some time with my friend before making it back to Atlanta by 2 AM, unloaded the bike and started taking the Mikuni and the handmade tanks off!
    Now, I need to make it right but this is my first Indian.

It seems I have a 741 main frame with the dogleg rear down tube to clear the later heads/cylinders. True?

I know the rear section is a real 640 as it still has the numbers on the wheel tab casting. Does this automatically put the chain out of line from the sprocket to the trans gear?

Are there any measurements for the front forks to know weather or not it's 640 or 741?

I think I should have a 741 rear at least (front too?) in order to lift the bike off the ground a little more since I am not small. I would do the front as well but do I need the whole fork setup or just the girder?

Is the 640 stuff rare?

What I know I need right now is an 18" rear rim or complete wheel/hub if I need to align the chain properly. (Doc mentioned a trans/wheel combo that was offset as one setup was wider???)

I need original bars (I thought these were but no).

I want original tanks (I know, I know) but which year tanks fit this frame mounting? I think (?) I want full size tanks (not Prince) but I don't want to run the dash with the Speedo.

I want an original seat but the front pivot has been removed and relocated like so many others so I'll have to figure that out.

Original generator setup converted to 12V.

What is a good Linkert/Schebler carb to run on a 45" motor like this?

That's just for starters. I want to be authentic but realistic. Thanks for reading this far down! Any words of wisdom would surely help this puzzle.
    Thanks,
    Chad
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Zaemo; 03-17-2018, 01:48 PM.

I looks like you have a later sport scout frame. The 741 did not have the dog leg.
    741 forks are aprox 18" from the axle to the lower pivot, SS are only about 16".
    Also 741 have 2 holes on the bottom SS only have the axle hole.
    741 heads are only 6 bolt while SS have 7 head bolts.
    Bruce Argetsinger
    AHRMA Dirt Track #67J
    www.enfieldracing.com

Comment

Thank you, that's very helpful.
      My fork is about 17 3/4" from the center of the lower pivot shaft to the center of the wheel axle.
      It has only one hole.
      The whole fork outside to outside is about 26 5/8".
      Attached Files

Comment

https://www.jerrygreersengineering.com/

Comment

The front section might be the correct one for the 640 rear, 1940 scouts had the dog leg to clear the larger cylinder fins that the 1940 cylinders had, I have a 39 and it has got the straight frame tube and smaller fins on the cylinders, Good Luck on your project!

Comment

Working...
          X