Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1941 scout-Can a wheel hub assy be laced as either a 16" or 18" wheel w/correct rim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1941 scout-Can a wheel hub assy be laced as either a 16" or 18" wheel w/correct rim?

I have an opportunity to purchase a rear wheel hub assembly but I'd like to use 18" wheels on my 1941 indian scout. Has anyone have any knowledge if this being accomplished? Of course, I'd have to purchase the 18" rim but is there a different hub for the 16" or 18"? Thanks in advance for the forum members input.

The 1941 Scout came with 18" wheels on the 741, not sure if the 16" wheel was an option on the sport scout.

Comment

I believe the 1941 SS was commonly ordered with 16" rims. 16s were the rage at that time and that is what everyone wanted. I agree that the 18" rims look much better on all Indians. Hubs were the same for 16", and 18" wheels. As you probably know, the 1941-'42 SS has a wider rear hub, trans mainshaft, and trans case than used on 1940 and earlier Scouts due to the slipper suspension. I'm not sure, but I think the Scout rear wheel rim has different dimple angles than the Chief.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Gary Stark at Starklite Cycles should be able to help you with the correct hub/wheel combination. Several years ago I kept breaking real wheel spokes on my '47 Chief (18" wheels). I went down to Bob's shop in Perris, CA. and he took me through the wharehouse of original wheels/hubs, labeled for this exact purpose. Bob kept these wheels for the reason that so many Indian owners want 18" wheels on bikes that may have been originally 16's. Bob was the only man out here on the west coast who could actually solve my problem... and I had asked alot of other Indian long time owners. I feel confident that Gary will have an answer for you... you may have to send him the exact parts you currently have, as so many of the Indian Scouts and Chiefs have mixed and mis-matched parts. The ONLY way to really know for sure is lay one (your wheel) on top of the other (the labeled original) to see the wheel spoke drill angle and be sure it matches the proper hub application. You simply can't tell unless you physically lay the wheels on top of each other. Thats what Bob told me, and I believe what he said. Give Gary Stark a call...

Comment

Thanks to all that have provided input to my question. I will have to give Gary a call at Stark's.

Comment

Working...
          X