41-741 Military - Could use some help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 41-741 Military - Could use some help

I've recently purchased a restored 741 Military. It's been nicely restored and runs well, but, I'm having a difficult time getting the primary and generator case to stop leaking oil, and I mean a lot of oil. I've installed a new gasket on the primary case which seems to be working better, but there's steady leak still on the bottom back portion of the generator case. This case of course is attached to the mounting plate with 8 or 9 screws rather than nuts and bolts, which might be contributing to my inability to get a good seal on the case. Has anyone had experience with this or possibly have some good solution.

Next, the shifter lever, linkage rod and transmission shifter arm all look to be correct, however, I can't get enough movement (throw) on the assembly to allow the bike to go into 3rd gear. The bottom of the linkage rod is hitting the bolt at the base of the engine mounting bracket, which keeps the linkage rod moving far enough down through the range of motion needed to allow the transmission to engage into 3rd gear. This one really has me stumped. Again, the engine mount through bolt and nut seems to be correct, but clearly interfere with the full range of motion needed to engage 3rd.

Furthermore, regardless of where I position the upper shift lever throw arm (the one attached on the left side of the bike directly to the shifter) when trying to push the shifter into 3rd, the bolt at the top of the linkage hits hard down into the rear cylinder head. The only way I've been able to over come this conflict is to remove the shift lever and put the shift lever spacer that typically sits on the right side of the bike against the shift lever spring, and put the spacer on the left side of the bike. Clearly this isn't the proper assembly of this part, but it does put the shift lever closer to the right side of the tank which extends the lever bracket far enough outside of the engine on the left to allow the linkage not to interfere with the engine as the linkage moves down from 2nd to 3rd.

Anyway, that's what I'm up against. Any comment would be appreciated.

Can you post a picture of the problem and will compare to mine...
    Will send you some pictures of how to overcome the oil leak at the Gen cover as well.

Mike

Comment

Working...
    X