101 sprocket count

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 101 sprocket count

Anybody know what the sprocket count on the trans and rear wheel are on a 101 scout?

I believe the common ones are 16, 18, and 20 on the counter shaft. I used to run an 18. You can gear it for the flats, or gear it to pull hills, but I picked an 18 so I could go o.k. on the flats and so, so on the big hills. The rear I believe had only one ratio but I could be wrong. I road it for about 15 years really hard over the Sierras (up over 10,000 feet), and on many 500+ mile trips out to the coast to visit friends. It would cruise on the flats at 55 to 65. One day I found that once it got past it's balance point it got really quite and really got going. Then after I could trust it to well over 75 on the flat.
    DrSprocket

Comment

Ok good that helps, trouble I have is I don't have the correct rear wheel and haven't been able to find one so I'm trying to set up my gearing accordingly so if I can find the rear count now I should be ok.

Comment

G.L. 40 teeth for the stock rear sprocket if it's 28-30 with the external contracting brake. It's three teeth larger tor the 31 with the drum brake. With the difference in the drum rear the countershaft will be higher also. Three independent confirmations. I hope this helps.
        DrSprocket

Comment

Yes that helps, thanks

Comment

Working...
          X