741 help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 741 help

I have a 1943 741 that I finally got running and I have tons of questions because I know very little about these bikes.

What type of gas should I use?

It runs well at idle but not at speed and sputters at take off. I'm having Kiwi rebuild the carb next. Could this be why it runs so hot? After a short ride I see lots of heat off the cooling fins. Or could this be a timing issue?

The clutch slips so I bought a new Kiwi disc set. Should I buy a new clutch release bearing before I even get started?

Thanks

Originally posted by lux View Post
    ...It runs well at idle but not at speed and sputters at take off. I'm having Kiwi rebuild the carb next. Could this be why it runs so hot? After a short ride I see lots of heat off the cooling fins. Or could this be a timing issue?...
    Lux!

Carbs are forgiving, but the manifolds are not.
    Please make certain that a vacuum leak is not an issue: http://virtualindian.org/11techleaktest.html

If you do not get bubbles, then you can go on to other things...

Good luck!

....Cotten
    PS: 'Regular' pump gas should be fine..
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thanks Cotten, Thats some great info and I've got tons to learn. This was one of my dad's bikes. It's got a really crazy story behind it, but it sat up for around 1o years after he rebuilt it last. He's not around anymore to answer all these questions.
      So, unleaded gas is fine for this old girl? If so, thats great to know.

Comment

Originally posted by lux View Post
        So, unleaded gas is fine for this old girl?
        No problem with unleaded gas!

Pretty forgiving motor cycle you've got there, so make certain it's getting oil flow (return oil to the oil tank that's in the RH tank) and go for the basics: gas, spark, and air. Cotten has "coached" many a new-to-vintage owner and his advice is strong!
        Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

BTW Lux, check out the virtual library section of the AMCA site and capture a few free downloads of Indian literature, there's a few in there pertaining to the 741 as well as the Rider's Guide which are good resources!
          Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

I bought the entire military service manual from a guy down in New Zealand, thats a huge help. Good news was that the military required an extensive service manual.

Comment

I guess I should tell the story behind this bike, so here goes as brief as possible.

My Father owned a small motorcycle shop/ dealership when he was young. He was also raising 6 kids with one more in the future (me). So he would race flat track on the weekends for extra money. through out the late 50s and 60s he was sponsored by BSA, Indian and Harley. Back in that day there was no money in it but he was good at it. He and my uncle used to actually sell their trophies back to the promoter for more cash. Over the years he laid so many bikes over on his left leg that he was not allowed to race any more. Until he built his own metal knee brace. They let him race again and his nick name for the rest of his life was " Robot". My uncle died racing and many of his friends got hurt, so he finally gave it up and never allowed us kids to ride motorcycles.
              He keep this one bike (not one of his race bikes) in an old barn in small town Texas. It was stollen when I was about 5 years old. 30 years later my sister moved back to that town, feel in love and married. one night drinking beer with the neighbor of her new husband the neighbor admitted that when he was young he stole an old Indian from a barn. She fished for more info. He said he took the bike to California for years then brought it back in pieces. My sister explained that it was my dads bike. The guy felt so bad that he drove 200 miles, introduced himself to my dad and returned it.
              My dad rebuilt the 43' 741 and unknown to any of us he had all the parts for a 40' chief in the attic. He rebuilt them both then let them sit in a sea container for 10more years. After he died I purchased the 741 from my mom. So here I am trying to make the old girl ride again 45 years after it was first stole from my dad.

Comment

cool story thanks for sharing and good luck, have fun

Comment

Go to the Indian 741B facebook site, lots of good information there
                  https://www.facebook.com/groups/788064461295451/

Comment

Working...
                  X