Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1940 Sport Scout Head Torque Values and Sequence

Hello,

Putting new head gaskets on my 40 Sport Scout. Does anyone have the proper torque sequence/settings?

(Using copper gaskets)

Thanks!

-Brett

50 to 55 pounds I believe is right. 50 is probably fine - main thing make sure your bolts are not to long - not bottoming out and that your threads are in good shape in the cylinders. Good idea to put the heads on with no gaskets and make sure you can pull the bolts up just tight and their not bottoming out. If all looks good. Go a head and put it together. Start at like 25 pounds or so and work up to 50 in 10 pound groups or so. Just tourqe it around like you would a rim or something - opposite sides till you get them all. Take your time and dont rush, if aluminum heads. After running first time. Get it up to normal operating temp, then turn it off and let it cool completely and re torque again. You might pull the threads on a cylinder if it has been abused - most have been over torqued many times, just a warning. Not to big a deal if you do. Then just heli coil it. That's what I did on my40 bit's of SS - one other thing aluminum paint works very well for a sealler coating on the gasket, if your surfices are true and flat, just a light coat, let it just get tacky and put it together. good luck.
    Last edited by Tom Lovejoy; 11-01-2016, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Brett, sorry for the tardy reply - just saw your post tonight

Comment

Thanks for this info! Tardy reply is just fine as I won't be pulling the motor until December.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
        X