No announcement yet.

Sorting out this 101 I just got!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The great thing about Excelsior's is that there is always something new to learn and they continue to throw curly ones at every turn. Before Excelsior/Henderson introduced the Timken bearing hub (1924 I believe) as shown in your picture Exeric, they built a Timken bearing hub using the Series 20/K/Early Deluxe rear hub shell. The dimensions are very slightly different to the ball bearing hub, but externally its hard to pick. I have a very rusty original one of these that still had the taper bearing cup in it, and the bust cover with wire lock ring. My understanding is that this is the hub that was used from some time in 1923 until the more well know Timken bearing hub came out in 1924 (later half?). Excelsior offered the taper bearing parts as a kit to convert the old ball bearing hub also.

Originally posted by exeric View Post
    I don't believe that is a Henderson Timken hub. All Henderson, and Excelsior Timken hubs are hour glass shaped, and from what I can see in your picture, your hub is straight. I'm no expert on Indians, but I know they used Timken bearings as I had a bunch of 101 Wall of Death bikes, and parts that I got from Puckett motors in Orlando. I had about 4 front hubs that I distinctly remember having Timken tapered roller bearings. I don't remember the rear hub assemblies. Does the wheel you have, fit up in your frame Harry?

Comment

Here is a line from the Excelsior parts list
      2016-09-20_10-40-24.jpg

Comment

Very interesting Ben, I didn't know Excelsior had such a kit.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
        X