1928 101 Scout clutch adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1928 101 Scout clutch adjustment

I have a 28 scout that I aquired about 6 months ago. The bike required some restoration and TLC but is mostly as it was when restored in the 1970s. I have the 101 manual from the club and it has been a great help but I don't see anywhere that describes the correct way to setup and adjust the clutch. My bike works as it should with the exception that it wants to grind when being put in first gear,especially when cold. Any suggestions on remedying this problem are greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Last edited by 28indian; 02-26-2016, 08:48 PM. Reason: misspelled

Have to check my manuals, but one thing I have found on my Scout. From a stop, retard spark and off the gas, then shift with a quick firm movement. Also it helps on the road, from a start - just give it a little push. Just so it's moving and mine usually goes in real nice. Same thing you can do, is put it in first right as you are about to role to a stop, all but stopped, it well fall right in, good luck and have fun.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, our bikes seem to be doing approximately the same thing, although mine sometimes requires a bit of a push to get it rolling before it will slip into gear,especially when cold. Seems like it could be adjusted to eliminate the need for this , doesn't seem likely that they required the rider to do this when the bikes were new. I set up the actuator lever so it begins to disingage the clutch as soon as the pedal is moved and the pedal has its full range of motion, I think I have some worn component or there is some method of setup/adjustment that should help. Thanks again, if I find a solution I will post the information

Comment

Once a guy opens up the primary and trans he will realize that disengagement involves more than just the clutch-pack relaxing. You might think the fibers are sticky, and they might be, but you will also realize that the main shaft in the clutch bushing is also a suspect area.
        Occasionally I run ATF lube for a few days, but switch over as soon as it leaves too many puddles.

Comment

Working...
        X