X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1940 Sport Scout Electric problem.

So I was out on a ride and she died.
    Looks like I have no electric.
    When I tested the voltage, I have 6 volts from the battery, and with the points closed I have 6 volts to the coil and and to the distributor.
    Usually when I trun the key to ignition the amp meter shows a draw, now nothing. also when I turn it to the lights I get no power to the headlight.
    Checked the key switch and it seems ok?
    Checked the 2 fuses in the small circular box under the seat,( is this what is refered to as the "mico" switch) they were good, not really sure what this box does. Couldn't find any more fuses.
    Hmmmm.
    Any ideas?

Did you check your ammeter? It may have shorted internally.

Dave

Comment

GOOD POINT, Ill do that tonight.
      thanks Dave.

Comment

So, I have 6 volts going to the hot side of the ammeter and 6 volts coming out, I also tried to bypass it by hot wiring in and out. Still no change. When I turn the key on I do have 6 volts going to the distributor? But no spark from the coil when I try to kick it? Thanks for any other ideas...

Comment

Looks like it was the battery. Although I had 6 volts with a meter, any type load would short..

Comment

What kind of battery are you using? I had a lot of electrical problems with a '40 Chief and most of them were related to bad grounds, and those poor quality batteries from India. I went to a YUASA battery in an Indian shell case and that cured many of the problems.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

Yuasa 6N11A-1B, but it was dry as a bone and 15 years old. Just ordered a new one.

Comment

Working...
              X