Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm starting to think I may have gotten in over my head.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm starting to think I may have gotten in over my head.

So the engine is out and I have a manual, and I have started to disassemble. The orginal problem was a leak from where the crankcase half go together, so I figured I would take her apart and make sure the case was flat, machine if necessary, inspect the part, renew whats needed and bada boom, bada bam. But in reading the manual it talks about 3 other "special" tools and of course micing the tolerances and clearances.
    So here is the question. Should I bring this to a engine machine shop and have them do the lower end and assembly or am I making too big of a deal of it?
    I am somewhat familiar with rebuilds on autos 1972 Pantera and a Lotus 7 four cylinder, but I have to admit, I'd like to do this only once.
    What do you guys think?
    Attached Files

it's not brain surgery and you will get plenty of help here
    Moose
    aka Glenn

Comment

Rick, Indian motors are not too difficult and the pricipals of V-twin motor design and repair require the same common sense as any motor. Even if you send the motor out, it would be a good idea to measure the pinion, and drive shafts, rollers, cylinders, and pistons. You'll probably want to replace the valves and guides and if you do have someone else do the motor; have them pay particular attention to the tappets and guides. I neglected that on my Chief and it's noisy as hell.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

I should have mentioned Indianut who is an AMCA member and a good friend. He is a very talented engine builder, machinist, and Indian lover so there aren't many problems with Indians he can't solve.

http://laughingindian.com/
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

If you know a good builder near you and can call him a friend. Then I would seriously think about trying it yourself, you can call him or ask here for help. But - if you take it somewhere to have it done. Git lot's of feed back from customers and go see the shop and listen to the person and hopefully listen to some engines he has built. As Eric mentioned Indianut, the guys who are good are well known. Look for someone that build real ridders, I have been amased at how many machines are not ridden much at all.There are lots of pretty engines out there that are not fit to do anything but start up in a parking lot once in a while. Try actually hitting the road for any distance and problems accure in short order. Just saying - use caution and be careful in your pick. Also the price varies allot, just in So Cal - I know of guys charging from 4 grand to 10 grand ! and that is for a v twin. Having said all that, I have always wanted to do a complete rebuild myself. I know guys who do it for a living and I could call em for help and even the use of tool's. So far though, I have not had the nerve to try it, it's not brain surgery like as been said - but a novice - like me can really crew stuff up and not even know it and that git's expensive fast. Good luck what ever you do Rick, Sport Scouts are awesome machines - you will love it.

Comment

Working...
          X