Hendee Special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hendee Special

Inspired by the conversation on the "old photos" thread.....

This is from the Winter 1993 Vol.32 No 4 issue of The Antique Motorcycle.

Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Spring 1992 VOL.31 No 1

Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

Hey Cory,
      To me, this is one of the most significant American bikes; or any bike for that matter. To think that the car world hadn't even developed electric starting yet (Cadillac had just started at this time) is amazing. Indian was truely ahead of the game in this era.
      Having a '14 myself, I've always been intrigued by this model (although mine is just a bitza, and not a Hendee Special). I've kept track of the various starter/generator around the world (some in the hands of less than genuine character), and continue to be amazed at the many differences these electrically equipped models have over any others in the Indian line-up. It's not just the starter that makes a Special. Thanks for this re-release on Scotty's bike. I remember when he happily displayed it at Davenport, and demonstrated it's every function, including the start up procedure.
      Great Stuff! Thanks again Cory.
      RF.

Comment

Glad you liked the articles RF! If you've kept track of these bikes, would you be inclined to give a rough estimate of numbers? The Deeley Museum looks like it's got a great display on right now. At 9:06 you can see Pete's '14.

Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

I notice that this one, Pete's, has both the kicker and the electric starter. If George Hendee'd'a originally thot of that, the motorcycle might have been successful! Thanx for starting this thread over on its own, here, Cory!
          Gerry Lyons #607
          http://www.37ul.com/
          http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Here's an interesting article, not that it has much more to say on the subject, but contains a couple cryptic little lines at the end. "One of the few surviving examples—engine number 76F700—was made in Toronto and is fitted with the only known example of the specially-designed kick starter that was retro-fitted to this model." (I added the bold) The first part - the 76F700 made in Canada - I believe this is where my wife read, and mistakenly thought, that engines with the 76F700 AND UP numbers were made in Canada, when it was only this one Special. Secondly, I wish there were a picture of this specially designed kick starter retro fit, or hear more about it. I have searched out the bike and it shows up at an auction site or 2, but never with a photo. It makes me think that the kicker that is forward of the engine like the 13 and 14's is not what they fit on once the electric start was removed. Just more interesting minutia to be sussed out...

http://www.thunderpress.net/Articles...endee_Special/
            Last edited by rustyspoke; 04-01-2011, 01:35 PM. Reason: forgot the link!

Comment

HI Cory,
              There seems to be more actual starter/gens in exsistance, than complete bikes. Scotty's is of course the ultimate example. I have not seen another Special that is intact. Supposedly there is one in Portuagal, and one in Holland. I know of two being fabricated, based on original starters; one in Holland, the other in Sweden. The Swedish example actualy has the starter bosses machined out, as if it was an original Special. Both these bikes are being contructed from parts. They are NABS (Never a Bike). I think Pete's version fits this bill also. All of the three previously mentioned bikes lack the hard to find switches for the electric starter. I think these have been reproduced in two forms, and there is currently a third being developed now. Not sure though, or it may have ceased.
              Funny thing though, of all the starter/gens that I've seen in real life, or via photos; they have all been in original paint!
              RF.

Comment

Originally posted by Sargehere View Post
                I notice that this one, Pete's, has both the kicker and the electric starter. If George Hendee'd'a originally thot of that, the motorcycle might have been successful! Thanx for starting this thread over on its own, here, Cory!
                I'd have to agree Sarge. It certainly would have been the best of both worlds.

Originally posted by rustyspoke View Post
                Here's an interesting article, not that it has much more to say on the subject, but contains a couple cryptic little lines at the end. "One of the few surviving examples—engine number 76F700—was made in Toronto and is fitted with the only known example of the specially-designed kick starter that was retro-fitted to this model." (I added the bold) The first part - the 76F700 made in Canada - I believe this is where my wife read, and mistakenly thought, that engines with the 76F700 AND UP numbers were made in Canada, when it was only this one Special. Secondly, I wish there were a picture of this specially designed kick starter retro fit, or hear more about it. I have searched out the bike and it shows up at an auction site or 2, but never with a photo. It makes me think that the kicker that is forward of the engine like the 13 and 14's is not what they fit on once the electric start was removed. Just more interesting minutia to be sussed out...

http://www.thunderpress.net/Articles...endee_Special/
                Did you check out the video? It shows the kicker to the rear of the starter. I'm planning at some point (possibly this spring) to take in the new exhibit at the Deeley Museum. I would be happy to take a bunch of pics of the Hendee Special and post them here. Maybe Pete will notice this thread and weigh in on the subject.

Originally posted by Red Fred View Post
                HI Cory,
                There seems to be more actual starter/gens in exsistance, than complete bikes. Scotty's is of course the ultimate example. I have not seen another Special that is intact. Supposedly there is one in Portuagal, and one in Holland. I know of two being fabricated, based on original starters; one in Holland, the other in Sweden. The Swedish example actualy has the starter bosses machined out, as if it was an original Special. Both these bikes are being contructed from parts. They are NABS (Never a Bike). I think Pete's version fits this bill also. All of the three previously mentioned bikes lack the hard to find switches for the electric starter. I think these have been reproduced in two forms, and there is currently a third being developed now. Not sure though, or it may have ceased.
                Funny thing though, of all the starter/gens that I've seen in real life, or via photos; they have all been in original paint!
                RF.
                Thanks for the run down RF! Pretty interesting stuff!! The original paint takeoffs seem logical. If they were as unreliable as they say they were (as a result of less than adequate batteries of course!) they would have been ripped off the bike. It seems to me though that the owners (and or dealers that were in charge of rectifying the problem) of the day must have thought enough of the starter/gens to squirrel them away. Maybe they had high hopes that batteries would improve!
                Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

Hi Guys

Apparently there is a working example in the UK! it was featured in the "Classic Motorcycle" magazine October 1993. I spoke to the Editor at the time and he told me the owner wished to remain anonymous, for obvious reasons!

link to back issue here: https://classicissues.com/bidetail.a...AutoNo=1000654
                  Regards

Tim

'36 four. '44 Chief & sidecar. '28 Scout. '67 XLCH. '70 BSA. and a Guzzi...............

Comment

Sarge, if you;ve ever held that starter motor in your hands, it's about 30lbs of copper and windings and fantastic stamped brass brushholders, etc. It was a one and a half HP DC 12v motor.......good for something ...somewhere. I wouldn't have thown one away either.

Incidentally, the battery failing was the "widely believed story", but if you study on the starter motor/generator, that was contracted to General Electric corp to build, the generator output was so low, that it would take a 4 hour ride to recharge just a couple usages of the starter........causing constantly undercharged batteries.

Comment

1914_starter.JPG1914_starter_back.JPG1914_starter_ID_tag.JPG1914_starter_profile.JPGHere are some pics of the starter

Comment

Working...
                      X