Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New 1914 Project/ Tranny ID questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1914 3 speed

Sorry, mixed up my pics. The last one was a 1916 PP. This one is the 1914 Hedstrom with the 3 speed.Indian%201914%20hendee%20R.jpg
    Michael Voice
    Membership Number 10556

Comment

Rusty, check the "OLD PHOTOS" thread (coincidental) pic of front-kick-starter, retro-fitted (I believe) onto a previously elec-started 14 Special. If I'm wrong somebody will correct this. I'd like to know more.
      Originally posted by rustyspoke View Post
      I've just been thinking... how did Indian convert the Hendee Specials back to a kick start? Does anyone know for sure?

Ok, searching around the internet more I found an auction site that had offered a single owner, completely original Hendee Special for sale and stated it had a 3 speed gearbox. I guess I'll just have to look more, but if anyone knows for sure what I might have on my hands, I'd love to know! Thanks!!

Comment

Thanks for the additional info everyone. I'm familiar with some manufacturer's tendencies to use up parts from one year in the next. I'm a VW nut too, and they did plenty of that in the past, creating some real interesting one year only sort of things, and others that should be avoided like the plague. The photos help a lot, and I finally found the Hendee Special part of the old photos thread. I also love the article scanned and posted. Not being able to say 100% (obviously) but I am now fairly sure that this is a Two Twenty-Five Regular Model that someone put a 3 speed on, and it's not out of the realm of possibility that they did it the very next year in 15. The thing for me is the rear hub, it's the original 2 sprocket set up for the single speed. I can imagine that bolting a 3 speed on would have been a real desirable thing to do. I would have wanted to. All I know is I have my dream bike, well, about 85% of it, and what I need is mostly available. I can't wait to get it rolling!!
        By the way...
        I posted a new thread in the "paint" section, and am looking for info on what to get to repaint it. What is a modern paint code for 'Indian Red' or the Blue they used? Not sure which color I want to make it.
        Last edited by rustyspoke; 04-01-2011, 01:45 PM.

Comment

More Photos

Here are a few more pics. One shows the already re-nickeled linkages, a couple of frame shots, the pieces I have of the gas tank, and the footboards (one with original pad) and the left foot brake. There are also a couple shots of my rear hub. I need to get the spokes off and clean it up, but there it is, V-brake and all.2011-03-22_17-38-29_631.jpg2011-04-01_11-39-00_216.jpg2011-04-01_11-38-34_833.jpg
          Last edited by rustyspoke; 04-01-2011, 12:02 PM.

Comment

More Photos pt.2

Here are the rest of the shots...2011-04-01_11-42-11_942.jpg2011-04-01_11-42-57_363.jpg2011-04-01_11-40-36_416.jpg2011-04-01_11-40-48_973.jpg2011-04-01_11-41-01_933.jpg

Comment

Very cool Rusty, Johnny Eagles gave me a paint code he said was correct. I will try to find it, it was several years ago.

Comment

Sadly, often times older paint codes don't work with modern paints.
                Be sure to visit;
                http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Working...
                X