Mystery tank cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery tank cap

So I was "tagging along" today in an antique store and in one of the display cases I spotted a cap that I've never seen before. A slightly domed cap, it had the Indian logo stamped into the top. From the center of the dome, right in the middle of the Indian logo was a small pipe ( < 1/4") sticking straight up and then bent at a 90, about 1/2" up and then another 1/2" after the 90. It was chrome. Curious as to what it might be from, and I couldn't get any pictures.
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Sounds like from an Indian dirt bike of the late 60's and into the 70's.

Comment

I'll second the dirt bike theory.
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
        I'll second the dirt bike theory.
        Likely so! Found this picture of a dirt-bike cap, the one I saw looked just like this except it had a vent pipe coming right out the middle of the Indian logo.

Jeez... it had a sticker on it of $77. At least I don't have to go back to that store and scoop up an ultra-rare cap from a 19XX Indian!cap.jpg
        Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Ouch.... $77 bucks seems a little steep. There's tons of those things around. I've seen some folks make them work on their "real" Indians. I can't recall seeing one with a vent but some of the later ones may have had them. You were smart to walk away Harry...
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
          X