No announcement yet.

1916 Powerplus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well thanks Wyatt... the Powerplus was a neat find. I was so excited to see a pic of your '10 because I have an obsession with flat tank Harleys.....
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

What does one like that usualy run?

Comment

Well... I paid enough for mine but was still cut a break because it came from a friend. When I get scrounging around on the internet I only seem to come across original running or restored bikes. We know that they go up significantly. I don't get down south to the good meets where this stuff shows up very often. Maybe one of the swapmeet circuit fellas can comment?
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

Cory.... I'm jealous.... I've only ever dreamed of finding a bike like this one so complete and requiring so little work to get it on the road...
          If you are not into sidecars... keep me in mind. I wouldn't mind purchasing it because I can't ride without one.

Michael Voice 10556
          Michael Voice
          Membership Number 10556

Comment

Maybe the upside down carb is an early turbo attempt?
            Michael Voice
            Membership Number 10556

Comment

Michael! Thanks for the nice comments. I've got some parts gathering to do but like you said it is relatively complete. As far as the sidecar goes, I've become rather attached to it. If that changes I'll keep you in mind. You could be right on the turbo idea... I do think though that the kids were let loose to play with it and it didn't go back together correctly... Hey, do you have a bigger picture of your avatar? I would like to have a better look at your project.
              Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

Cory, I know you're fixated on flat tank H-D's but your 1916 PowerPlus is about as nice as an antique motorcycle gets. Indians of that era were of the golden age and the quality and finish were paramount in all of motorcycling. I believe that the quality and finish of H-D and Indian at that time were superior to anything before or since and that is why I love the 1915-1924 examples more than any other vintage. I think there are many historical reasons for this time capsule of perfection.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

Eric!!! You are right on both counts. H-D's and Indian's quality at that time was very good. They were definitely in it for the long run. You are also right on my obsession with flat tank Harleys but that will come in time I hope. I'm going to see this old Indian through and when it's done it will be ridden and not left to languish in a static display. It's the least I can do for this old sickle. As always I enjoy your input.
                  Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

I'm going through my 1916 Excelsior right now and my intention is to have a reliable runner that exists for fun. I appreciate AMCA judging but my goal from here on out is to have real, running motorcycles. However, I don't want Cannonball bikes that have disk brakes and modern crap that perverts their history. That was a cool event but I hate to think of a new culture of tweeked, modernized antique motorcycles as the new standard.
                    Eric Smith
                    AMCA #886

Comment

That is precisely the right attitude. Get 'em runnin' and enjoy them. I too am torn with modernizing the old machines. They should be left as they were intended. I understand that safety was a concern but I do believe that Brad Wilmarth's Excelsior was left relatively untouched other than his "Flintstone" front brake.......... Oh, any chance you could take us through some of your rebuilding process on your Excelsior? A Slojo Cannonball type thread might be a bit of an undertaking but the odd update would be interesting.....
                      Cory Othen
                      Membership#10953

Comment

Cory,
                        I spotted this last night power plus motor

E-bay # 150523394244
                        Chuck
                        AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Hey Chuck! Thanks for the heads up!
                          Cory Othen
                          Membership#10953

Comment

17' project

I'll see if I can get a copy of it... all my pics are on the missus' computer and its not easy to interupt her in midstream 'Dangerous Housewives'... or whatever its called. Can you tell me the best meets down South? I'm planning a trip in the near future to USA and would like to be there at the right time to frequent meets where old stuff comes out for sale, specially parts Indian, pre 20's instead of many peoples ideas of old from the 70's. Have to admit though, the avatar pic there is one of my needs a lot of attention projects, 1917. Have other frame diamonds, 17 and 19, but they need a bit of pipe welded in place. Its engines I'm looking for these days, have the bottom end of a 16 and just picked up a good front barrel for it, pity it was already parted from its mate so I still need to find a good rear barrel. Will get onto the wife now... I think she's coming up for a breather...

Michael

P.S. Just got the pic and hope it loads on here ok... I'm concerned it says 'attached thumbnails' its big enough on my screen, hope it opens on yours ok.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Michael.Voice; 12-10-2010, 02:10 PM. Reason: Got the pic
                            Michael Voice
                            Membership Number 10556

Comment

Working...
                            X