Zerks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zerks

I have a small pile of mostly original zerk's from the Indians that I would like to reuse. There are a couple of oddballs and chrome plated ones. First question, other than testing it with a gun, how would I know if an 80 year old zerk is good or bad? These all look great, with no major corrosion that is noticeable on the inside. After soaking them for a few days in solvent, I thought I could use the tip of a blowgun to possibly get the zerk to open. Even at 120psi, I got no airflow through the ones I tested. Is the only option to mount them on a hole and just use a grease gun?

Also, can I cad these as is? Wasn't sure if the cad process had to take place prior to the ball and spring being assembled.

IMG_1148.jpeg

RMS'
    I believe a standard grease gun will 'generate''(?) more than 120 psi. Maybe 'mount' each Zerk in a vice (use a strip of copper to protect the Zerk) and try the grease gun?

Comment

I'd like to ask also, Folks,..

What were they 'correct' for if there was no staked-in ball and spring?

Thanks in advance,

....Cotten
      PS: Ain't it spelled 'zirque'?
      Last edited by T. Cotten; 01-06-2022, 06:27 PM.
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

'zirque'?

You mean like: Cirque du Soleil? The Las Vegas acrobatic act???

I don't know.
        If we're going to start grading spelling or grammar I'm Sunk.

Starklite lists as: "Zirc";
        Jerry Geer as: "GREASE FITTING" and
        Jacob Junker covers all the bases with: "Zerk/Grease fitting"

Comment

...Wikipedia says:
          "The patent for the Zerk fitting was granted to Oscar U. Zerk in January 1929, and the assignee was the Alemite Manufacturing Corporation.[1] Alemite had already been marketing, since 1919,[2] ball check valves to accept grease supplied under pressure from a grease gun, such as for car and truck chassis lubrication points, both for OEM installations and for aftermarketupgrade kits which would screw in as replacements for stock grease cups, but Zerk's fitting was an improved style, less vulnerable to dirt and more forgiving of angled approach. Today, many companies make these grease fittings."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grease_fitting
          Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
            ...Wikipedia says:
            "The patent for the Zerk fitting was granted to Oscar U. Zerk in January 1929,
            So let me guess, Folks,...

The zipper was invented by....

Lembeck.jpg

Still wonder about ones with no ball check, correct thread, probably from Milwaukee machines.

Perhaps pre-'29?

...Cotten
            Last edited by T. Cotten; 01-07-2022, 05:22 PM.
            AMCA #776
            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I appreciate the input. Considering that a grease gun can put out 3000psi+, I think I will just run a test like Paul suggested and then clean them up again so I can throw them in the CAD pile, assuming I can CAD plate them. I was worried about CAD sticking to the ball, but maybe it is not a big deal.

Cotten, I can't help you. Or do you know the answer and are just quizzing us?

A zerk without a ball and spring...wouldn't it just be called a nipple?

In learning that Zerk invented the Zerk, I also learned that it is a myth that Crapper invented the Crapper. Can't tell you how many times I heard about that one over the years.

Comment

The original Indian zerks had the “ball” recessed. It was shaped more like an exclamation point.
                37-39 were the larger and very rare zerk. Not reproduced. Only available with the ball on top.
                The later, small zerk used to the end of Indian also recessed, but has been reproduced.
                37- 38 were mostly nickel.
                39 cad.
                All later small ones cad.
                In addition to soaking, using a hypodermic needle ground flat, connected to an air hose is great to clean these out.
                After plating make sure to clean them. Platers don’t do it. Run grease through them.

Comment

When my brother was in college at UW Parkside ('72,'73) he lived on Cooper Rd next to the Zerk Estate Mansion.

https://m.facebook.com/RememberingKe...36184726502034

Comment

bikerdds, Thank you for the additional information. I was under the impression that Indian used Alemite style fitting thru 1936, so would the 1937 Indian have the recessed ball style Zerk?Do you have any pictures of the 37-39 large style Zerk compared to the later small Zerk?

Comment

Unfortunately I’m out of state for a month.
                      One major way to tell large from small if you are not sure, the small zerk will have two threads.
                      The large zerk has four. Toney Watson taught me this years ago. The angled zerks were all large, with original ones again having the recessed ball. Plating followed the yearly policies. 37-38 nickel, 39 cad, with early 39 either way as old stock used up.
                      This created problems for Indian because they did not make frame changes to accommodate the large zerk.
                      Instead, they used a 1/8 inch ( approximately) spacer from 5/16 tube in many locations, like the round surfaces for the main spring, etc, or any place without room for four threads.
                      Note, you will only see the part number for the spacer added into the front of an original parts book. Further, Indian added “as needed”. If there was any interference the spacer was used. This problem went away in 1940 with the small zerks.
                      This is NOT in any Greer or other manufacturers catalogue. If small, later zerks used the spacers are not necessary.

Comment

Working...
                      X