Linkerts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linkerts

In looking around at Linkerts, were Linkerts ever known to be re-popped? I know many original Linkerts were re-stamped, but I was curious if there were any fake Linkerts as a whole out there? If so, what were the giveaways?

RMS

I am hoping Cotten will respond.

I do not know about 'fakes' but i know V-Twin and Starklite offer reproduction Linkerts for some models of the Chief.

Starklite catalog notes:

"This reproduction looks almost exactly like your original Indian Linkert Carburetor.
    However, this is not a bolt on solution without some work. When the manufacture assembles this, they often
    leave parts loose so you will have to go through the carburetor and re-tighten and verify the correct assembly.

Issues We have found that may need to be corrected:

Main Nozzle should be changed (They made a non-standard nozzle that is a hybrid between the bonne nozzle and
    standard nozzle Low & High Speed Nozzles are too long and need to be shaved down to allow proper adjusting
    (We were unable to adjust the idle until we did this)
    The Fixed Jet should be removed and plugs installed like original.
    Check throttle disc – Many are installed backwards since the person in the factory does not know how to
    properly install.
    Float Level is incorrect and needs adjustment (We do not know how long these floats will last as they are not
    made by us,and are not our nitrophyl floats).
    Tension spring on Low Speed detent ball does not have enough tension on some carbs and should be changed to a
    stronger spring The Venturi is a standard sized Venturi. If using on a 80ci should be swapped out for larger
    ID venturi.

Having said all of the above. We are offering these carburetors to our customers because they can be made to
    work. They will require work to get them working, but it’s better than nothing."

Comment

Thanks, Paul. I went to Starklite and took a look at the pics. You can definitely tell the difference between those and a original Linkert.

Comment

Linkert carburetors were sold through Beck as well as OEM which were marketed as replacements for factory supplied units. They are stamped differently.
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I have held only one reproduction in my hands, Folks,..

And it was made by Charles Mas many years ago.
          (I outfitted it for him, but never heard how it performed, nor was I paid.)

"Becks" were true Linkerts.

The hurdle to making a quality carb would be creating the delicate and critical idle bleed slot, and the first thing to inspect.
          (Today, we have EDM processes, however it is still a mystery to me how the originals were performed.)

From the outward appearance of the modern repops, it would cost as much to bring one close to my standards as to start with an original that had been in a fire.

Happy New Year everyone!

.....Cotten
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

" (I)t would cost as much to bring one close to my standards as to start with an original that had been in a fire."

Thanks Cotten, that is what I was wondering!

Happy New Year!!!

Comment

W/r/t Low & High Speed Nozzles are too long
              Should read Low & High Speed Needles are too long

The Linkert Book

Comment

Dear All, Samwel in the Netherlands is reproducing Linkerts, notably the M5 for the early knucks. They are probably made in Poland and likely the source of the V-Twin repros. Like Cotten I wonder how the idle slot was cut originally.

Comment

Back on the old FlatheadPower forum, Folks,...

A fellow heard from somebody who saw the slotting machine said that "it was like a big dentists' drill."
                  Last I looked, even modern .009" endmills won't cut thirty thou deep, much less through bronze.

Bruce A. of Moldthread suggested they were punched.
                  Sounds plausible with a precise anvil within the bore, right?

But this M341-1 blueprint excerpt prescribes the bleed to be drilled and slotted after the throttledisc and shaft are installed:

bleedslot.jpg

Other clues we have are the mistakes:

51SLOT1.jpg
                  51slot2.jpg
                  M74BLEDX.jpg

This is as enigmatic to me as the building of the Egyptian Pyramids.

....Cotten
                  Last edited by T. Cotten; 01-03-2022, 07:22 AM.
                  AMCA #776
                  Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
                  X