Indian Luggage Rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Luggage Rack

Well, I thought I was all set with two luggage racks in the pile. One fits beautifully and the other one does not sit flush. Can anyone help with what year or model this would be for? The slots for the fender trim look like they would line up. The good one I know fits 40-53 models.

In addition, after painting the fenders, has anyone mounted these with any kind of a thin gasket or rubber material to protect the paint? I know they did not use it then, but if it helps protect the finish, why not?

IMG_0897.JPEGIMG_0898.JPEGIMG_0899.JPEG

Howdy sir,

That rack extremely robust and often pressed into duty on non-Indians, judging by that radius in cross section, horror of horrors, it’s been riding around affixed to back of an HD big twin. You’ll note those half circle cutouts in the brackets, these racks were designed for the 340/440 with one year only half round fender trim. If your fenders not lathered with filler, then the feet on these racks will do just fine on cured polyurethane without further protection.

Adding a soft “distance piece”, as the British would say will just lead to shifting if this fitted to your 440-441 as the easiest way to mount this era machine on the center stand is to pick it up by the rack.
    Cheerio,
    Peter
    1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

My initial thoughts are "essential use "Chief with the flatter fenders.
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Howdy Robby,

Initially might appear that way but pads are not ground off symmetrically, the right appearing to have less material removed and not really correlating to the the radius of a military fender.
        Cheerio,
        Peter

Comment

If something has a true purpose, something like Robbie pointed out, then I would hate to alter it and would rather sell it to someone that could use it. If someone has an essential use and wants to try it out, let me know.

But, if it was altered, then maybe I can just alter it back? What if I brazed a small square piece of steel to the bottom then worked it with a grinder and files to get contours close to the other one I have? Beat it up a bit for some texture and then paint it?

Comment

Howdy sir,

Cast steel like this and the lugs on Indian frames are simple to weld on for even rank amateurs like myself with minimal tools. I reproduced the entire rear brake pedal boss arc where the bolt passes through on a limited budget chap’s 440, after his broke his off while underway and the piece lost road side, using a soldering torch to keep the assembly hot while building that arc with a 110 mig welder, ground back, textured to a cast finish and re-drilled it works to this day. Michael Breeding made a lovely accurate version of that rack years ago, don’t know who got the casting molds, but you’ve got an original in hand, I’d have a go in a heartbeat.
            Cheerio,
            Peter

Comment

Working...
            X