Chains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chains

As I was thinking about posting this question, it hit me that this could be another "best tire to use" or "best oil to use" thread, but after trying to use the search function to look for discussion on chains, I wasn't finding much. With rebuilding both bikes, but especially with the Four, I am not worried about trying to get a "cheap" chain, as that cheap can ultimately cost thousands in case repair on the Four. I have run across recommendations of the EK Super Links Heavy Duty chain, and of the Diamond O Ring series. Are there any recommendations on a great chain to consider? Or any to stay away from? Thanks in advance!

Beware of Diamond chains made in India.

Comment

Thanks for the response, tomfii. I did not look at the Diamonds yet, although recommended to me previously. Given chains are something we all have to use and they have been around for years, I was hoping for more responses. We have conversations around LED versus incandescent, 12v versus 6v, etc., but wouldn't a conversation around chains, at least for our bikes, focus pretty much on quality as there are not a whole lot of options for various types that would be correct for our machines? I was hoping there would be some stand out brands that some of you have used that I could look at considering in my build. Once again, any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Comment

I've used many chain manufacturers over many moons, and most will hold up if they are thoroughly cleaned and properly oiled & adjusted. Years ago for my racing endeavors, i picked up a used 'Fry Daddy' at a second hand store, and put my chains inside with a simple cleaning agent. Never once did i ever break a chain, but 'they All stretch' with continued usage.

*M.A.D.*
        Last edited by JoJo357; 12-21-2021, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tomfiii View Post
          Beware of Diamond chains made in India.
          Yes there are some floating around made in India, but can still get "real" Diamonds made in the USA.

Comment

I know nothing about chains for a 4 cylinder.
            However, I can attest to the warning about the 'diamond" chains from India.

Wilson Plank wrote an article for Bob Stark about 25 years ago in Stark's "POW WOW" club newsletter. The article mentioned the rivets were inferior in the IMPORTED primary chains.
            Those faulty chains were widely circulated back in the early '70-80's. Significant numbers of failures reported. Some vendors (allegedly) continued to sell these potential "hand grenade" primary chains. They were "bargain priced", and many vendors found themselves with stock on the shelves they couldn't sell. So, these chains seemed to linger around the marketplace for what seemed like a very long time. Although a "wear item", how often would a guy change a primary chain ? Not too often, I would say.

Anyway, I was lucky !! After buying a rigid frame Chief from a friend, I found out it was equipped with one of those inferior primary chains.
            I was riding on a rural hiway about 55-60 mph when suddenly the primary chain wadded up and stopped me in my tracks !! I skidded about 200 ft. before I knew it, and wondered what the hell had happened. I got the bike home and tore into it. Like I said, I got lucky !! The POS inferior chain was broken in six pieces, rivets throughout the whole chain were torn and split. The chain was wadded up and wedged up against the clutch hub, only doing minor damage to the inside of the primary cases. At least, no major damage to the aluminum inner/outer's. It was a bit of a chore to pick out all the pieces, but the actual repair was a USA MADE primary chain and a cover gasket. Thank the Lord. It certainly could have been much worse.

Who checks the primary chain, when you buy a bike from someone ? I doubt many people would actually do that !! I had ridden that bike for maybe 3000 miles before that eventful day, and other than that ONE mishap, the bike has been one of my best performing machines I have ever owned.

Just one story... I have plenty of 'em.

C2K

Comment

Originally posted by pan620 View Post

Yes there are some floating around made in India, but can still get "real" Diamonds made in the USA.
              How do you tell the difference?

Comment

Sorry it has been a year or two but the color of the box on the India ones was green and the good ones I still get are in blue boxes, I think older stock was red. But mainly at the time it is the price, like $35.00 for a Harley primary chain compared to the price around $95.00 for the good ones.

Comment

Excellent, thank you.

Comment

Working...
                  X