No announcement yet.

Indian Rear Springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rick, two sets there and it's interesting to see the difference in the drum side slippers, one is not reinforced and the other is. Hatfield's Indian Motorcycle Restoration Guide identifies them like this:

slippers.jpeg
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

I have a bronze drum side bracket,1945?
      Tom

Comment

Yep...Here is a side by side pic of the two. The reinforced was on the 42 Chief. The other is a '41 Four.

IMG_0175.jpeg

Comment

I have some pretty good wear on my 41-42 shock rods. I see on Greer's that they show the shock rod diameter to be .864. All four of mine are in the .830 to .840 range in the unworn areas at the top and bottom, which is confusing to me (maybe my caliper is way off). After calling them yesterday, I found out the new bushings that I am ordering will come at .865 and will require honing. All of my very worn bushings show to be at .870 or greater, so there was a lot of slop. Does anyone have any numbers to share on their experience with these shock rods? I am looking for the proper diameter of the rods (which Greer's is likely accurate, but I wanted to hear what others have experienced) and how much clearance I need to work towards with new bushings. I have a thermal coat place here in Dallas that is just waiting for me to give them the final diameter for the rods before they start on them. I also asked them to provide me what they read them to be as well.

IMG_0297.JPEGIMG_0298.JPEGIMG_0299.JPEGIMG_0300.JPEG

Comment

The shop is telling me they range from .863 to .866 on the unworn areas, so the .864 measure is right. That is what he will return them to me as +/- .001. I will post some pics when I get them back.

Does anyone know what the clearances are that I should shoot for with the new bushings? I think I have heard in the 3 to 5 thou range? I got lucky as I already have a Chadwick long pilot reamer that will do up to .875 and ensure the upper and lower bushings are aligned. I bought that when I had to ream new bushings on my 69 F-250 kingpins.

Comment

My 440 was built within the first 25 and the "frame" number is on the slipper.
              D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Check the springs on both side. When they have the same lengh and are not broken, it seems to me ok.

Comment

Got the shock rods back today from thermal spray and machining. They look great and look like brand new when compared to the pics below. I have new bushings coming with other stuff from Greers. Can anyone tell me what clearance I should be looking for when reaming the bushings? I have heard in the 3 to 5 thou range, so was thinking of 4.

IMG_0672.JPEGIMG_0671.JPEG

Comment

Shafts look good! Would it be possible to get the Thermal Spray company number, as I have an application I would like to see if they may be able to undertake? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Highlander View Post
                      Shafts look good! Would it be possible to get the Thermal Spray company number, as I have an application I would like to see if they may be able to undertake? Thanks.
                      PM sent.....

Comment

Just bumping this question.....does anyone know what clearance I should be looking for when reaming the bushings for the shock rods? I have heard in the 3 to 5 thou range, so was thinking of 4.

Thanks again.

Comment

I wouldf fit the minimum clearance that allows the shaft to move freely in the assembled plunger without the springs.Probably less than 2.
                          Tom

Comment

Working...
                          X