1916 Indian Motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1916 Indian Motor

I recently came across a 1916 Indian Powerplus (?) motor almost complete but missing a carb and carb manifold. Can anyone guild me in the correct direction in terms of what I should be looking for ?
    Perhaps a picture if possible please.
    As always, thanks
    Dan

Hi Dan, I'm going to assume U R an AMCA member. In the virtual library on the AMCA homepage under features...there are 7 manual/sales brochures listed for 1916 Indian. I'd start there.
    Ross

Comment

Originally posted by danf19 View Post
      I recently came across a 1916 Indian Powerplus (?) motor almost complete but missing a carb and carb manifold. Can anyone guild me in the correct direction in terms of what I should be looking for ?
      Perhaps a picture if possible please.
      As always, thanks
      Dan
      Dan,
      The original carb would have been a Schebler HX. The carb to manifold flange has three bolts just like the small L& L or Linkert carbs. I'll try to snap some pictures when I get a chance.

Kevin

Kevin
      https://www.youtube.com/c/motodesoto

Comment

It should look very similar to the 1917 in the attachments, Dan!

Note that the manifold has spigots that are removeable, and held in the casting by clamping screws.

The carb is an HX153.

....Cotten
        Attached Files
        Last edited by T. Cotten; 12-30-2018, 12:02 PM.
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I have a twin manifold w nuts and schebler carb that I took off a 15 Indian twin years ago. The manifold is stamped H116 What say the old knowledgeable ones????
          Ross

Comment

Originally posted by Ross View Post
            I have a twin manifold w nuts and schebler carb that I took off a 15 Indian twin years ago. The manifold is stamped H116 What say the old knowledgeable ones????
            Can you take a pic for us, Ross?

I have pics of a "1914" with no cast or stamped numbers, and a "'20 Scout" with H157.
            And it looks like there's a '17 with no numbers waiting patently on my bench...

For what that's worth.

....Cotten
            Attached Files
            Last edited by T. Cotten; 12-31-2018, 09:18 AM.
            AMCA #776

Comment

I knew you'd ask for a pic. have it right here by the computer. This is where I don't shine. Cory O used to post for me. I'll check with the BRIDE and see if she can make it happen.
              Ross

Comment

I knew you'd ask for a pic. have it right here by the computer. This is where I don't shine. Cory O used to post for me. I'll check with the BRIDE and see if she can make it happen.
                Thank her for me in advance, Ross!

....Cotten
                PS: We miss Cory.
                Please feel free to email it to me direct at liberty@npoint.net, and I will share it here.
                Last edited by T. Cotten; 12-31-2018, 11:56 AM.
                AMCA #776

Comment

Indian Carb Pictures

carb1.jpgcarb2.jpgcarb6.jpgcarb4.jpgcarb5.jpg
                  Ross

Comment

Holy Cow the Mrs. got em up. Just checked my file and I took this off a 1915 Indian twin in 1979. The engine went to a guy at Wauseon a couple of years ago and he made a killer racer. As mentioned the manifold has H116 stamped.. the carb...the old patent pending thing. Not sure Dan but this type was around in your era as the old hedstrom soup can was optional in 1915. Same manifold twin ends but not the 3 bolt on the Hedstrom as it screwed on. Also Dan, guys like Cotten are why we go to the forum. They know their stuff. Thanks Cotten for the offer to post. The wife had no trouble. Guess I'll have to keep her around.
                    Ross

Comment

Yet another mystery for me, Ross..

(But please thank your wife for jumping through all the hoops!)

Yours has a dramatic bend upward to the motor, whereas the examples I posted are slanted just a few degrees.
                      Here's the H124 that I am delinquent to attend to..

I only study these things; I have few answers.

...Cotten
                      Attached Files
                      AMCA #776

Comment

Thanks Cotten. I know it fits a 15 Indian but a 16...I'll wait for another member to chime in. Ziggy K would probably know. let us know what you find out Dan.....
                        Ross

Comment

The basic design of the Indian big twin changed in 1916. The 1915 engine was an intake over exhaust engine commonly known as the Hedstrom Indian because it was designed by Oscar Hedstrom. Rosses pictures look right to me for 1915. The 1916 Indian big twin was a side valve design, which was new that year and commonly known as the PowerPlus. Toms pictures look correct to me for 1916.

Kevin

Kevin

Comment

Thanks Kevin
                            Ross

Comment

Thanks Kevin
                              My pleasure, Ross. I see them come and go on eBay from time to time. A couple of other sources might be Kent Thompson in NH, Ziggy of Canada, and the other Ziggy in Kentucky. Message me if you want contact info for those guys.

Kevin

Kevin

Comment

Working...
                              X