1917 Powerplus in Olive, Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1917 Powerplus in Olive, Restoration

FAADB381-939E-4A86-8B98-80E5EBED46B9.jpg652C5AA4-F9C5-435B-BBF7-EB130F8BD1E9.jpg417E722F-07CE-4329-83DB-A5B090B5C236.jpgHello, I am new to this forum so please forgive me if I make a few errors while posting. I am restoring a 1917 Powerplus and would like to do a "Distrestoration" in Olive Drab. I am looking for original photos or any other information that might help. I am also looking for conformation that the early 17's that were purchased by the war department started out "Indian Red" and then were painted over in Olive.

I am also looking for a few items to complete the bike and would be willing to trade or purchase.
    I need a set of 17 bars and controls, I have an 18-20, Kick starter bracket, I have an earlier version, hand clutch lever with knob, 3 speed shift quadrant/gate for 17 and a few linkages.

Thanks,
    Todd

Ps, is there an easy way to post pictures?
    Last edited by 1917PowerPlus; 12-17-2017, 07:42 PM.

Welcome, Todd! There are a few folks on here with 17's, including myself. I can't help much with your questions. I'm certainly no expert, but I would be more than happy to post any pictures you might want. Glad to help wherever I can.

Dale

Comment

Hi Dale, thanks for responding. I would be interested in seeing pictures of your bike, from what I have read, most of the 17/18 production was for the war and Olive, is your bike an original paint? Do you know of anyone who has an original paint Olive Drab 17?

Todd

Comment

Interesting project! Thanks for posting. I'll be watching!

Kevin

Kevin
        https://www.youtube.com/c/motodesoto

Comment

Hi, Todd. There is not a lot of paint left on mine. What is there is red. The oil tank is red as well as the backside of the tanks and the frame under the tanks. There is also some red left on the cases. No trace of any olive drab.
          003.jpg 004.jpg 020.jpg 040 (2).jpg
          It looks like at some time in the past someone was possibly stripping the paint on the tanks and had them laying on newspaper so there are bits of newsprint stuck to the back.

Dale

Comment

Originally posted by painterdale View Post
            Hi, Todd. There is not a lot of paint left on mine. What is there is red. The oil tank is red as well as the backside of the tanks and the frame under the tanks. There is also some red left on the cases. No trace of any olive drab.
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]21353[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]21354[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]21355[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]21356[/ATTACH]
            It looks like at some time in the past someone was possibly stripping the paint on the tanks and had them laying on newspaper so there are bits of newsprint stuck to the back.

Dale
            I love looking at pictures of your bike, Dale.

Kevin

Kevin

Comment

Pictures from an expensive Indian advertising spread during the first world war.

Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks, Kevin! I appreciate that. Good to hear from you.

Eric, That is a very cool document. A Powerplus does look handsome in green!

Dale

Comment

Hi Todd,

Here's a few pictures of my 1917 PowerPlus at Wauseon this year, and one from Wauseon in about 2010.

I don't believe there's any original paint on it, if fact, in a few more years I don't think there'll be any paint on it at all. I don't have any extra parts but if you need additional pictures showing close up details I should be able to send them to you.

Good luck on your project.

Steve SlaminkoIMG_7053.jpgDSC03620.jpgIMG_7100.jpgIMG_7103.jpg

Comment

Very nice Dale, thanks for sharing! I love the fact it is electrically equipped, could you send close up pictures of the head light and set up?
                    Merry Christmas!
                    Todd

Comment

Wow Eric, I have a pretty extensive collection of early Indian literature but this is the first time I am seeing this, too cool, thanks for posting. Please post additional information if you have!
                      Merry Christmas!
                      Todd

Comment

Originally posted by slamiste View Post
                        Hi Todd,

Here's a few pictures of my 1917 PowerPlus at Wauseon this year, and one from Wauseon in about 2010.

I don't believe there's any original paint on it, if fact, in a few more years I don't think there'll be any paint on it at all. I don't have any extra parts but if you need additional pictures showing close up details I should be able to send them to you.

Good luck on your project.

Steve Slaminko[ATTACH=CONFIG]21360[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]21361[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]21362[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]21363[/ATTACH]
                        Wow. That's a nice one!

Kevin

Kevin

Comment

Hi Steve,
                          Very nice bike, love the electric equipment ! I am going to equip my project bike similarly, is the tail lamp an am ?
                          Merry Christmas!
                          Todd

Comment

There is a replica WW1 Air Drome in Kingsbury, Texas that restores WW1 era aircraft. They have a museum on the grounds (some of their hangars were actual hangers removed from several of the air bases in San Antonio many years ago). Among their collection of WW1 artifacts, they have a 1917 Powerplus with sidecar in olive drab with some military equipment. It was restored by Bill Wiseman about 20 years ago. As I remember, the facility is owned by a retired air line pilot. I believe his name is Roger Freeman. This outfit would make a good template for you if you can get someone there to forward close up pictures to you. Good luck.
                            Sam

Comment

Merry Christmas Todd,

Here's some close up pictures of the electronics. This is a Splitdorf system. I don't know if it was equipped from the factory or was added on later. The pictures aren't the best due to the bikes location in a rather dark basement. The 1st picture shows the wiring diagram. Subsequent pictures are of the headlight (with built in horn), the fuse box (mounted on top the battery box), The amp meter mounted on the tanks, one of two handlebar switches (one for the horn and the other called the "starting switch" is engaged during starting).

Sadly, the mag-dynamo failed about 20 years ago so at present none of the electronic work as intended since I'm now running a simple mag. That I'll attached some pictures of the original unit in another reply (file is too big)021.jpg008.jpg002.jpg001.jpg016.jpg.

Steve Slaminko

Comment

Working...
                              X