Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hedstrom Frames

Hi

I was wondering if anyone has a definitive guide to Hedstrom frames as I have seen so many variations I would like to get to know what years they relate to.

Variations I have seen are as follows,
    1. Engine mounting points near gearbox platform: 2 holes in line, 2 holes offset, 1 hole
    2. Gearbox platform: looks like angle iron form each side, looks like a full (approx. 1") casting from each side
    3. Spring mounting area: full curved piece, 2 curved pieces with gap between
    4. Top tube: round boss near "bend", no boss
    5. Under seat post: sidecar mount, no sidecar mount

The attached pics show examples of some of these variations

Cheers
    Steve
    Attached Files
    Last edited by panthersteve; 10-15-2017, 06:35 PM.
    1914 P&M
    1915 Indian (project)
    1930 M50 Panther
    1958 M35sport Panther

I would be interested too, as I have seen lot's of variations. Even I think in the distance and space for the engines - small twin verse large twins ? Just curious, here is one I have
    Attached Files

Comment

Tom, the one you have enters into a completely different grouping than the ones I was asking about as it is a rigid rear and with pedalling gear. What I am looking at is transmission and rear springing big twin models.

Be nice to have answers about them all though :-)
      1914 P&M
      1915 Indian (project)
      1930 M50 Panther
      1958 M35sport Panther

Comment

The first frame you have is a 1915 Hedstrom frame. You can tell this by the casting that holds the transmission, it has 2 rear engine bolt mounts and the upper casting that holds the rear suspension springs is an open (skeleton) design.

Your second photo is of a 1913 Indian hedstrom frame. It is a 2 speed model and you can tell this by the casting on the back bone of the frame for the 2 speed shifter. The casting that holds the rear leaf spring packs is a solid casting and not open like your other frame, this is a dead give away for 1913. In Australia it is possible to have an early 1914 with this style of frame.

Comment

Thanks for this information which coincides with what I thought about these 2 frames. Although I have generally been under the impression that the '15 should have the other type of transmission mount casting.

What I would like to do is gather enough information so that I could identify others. For instance what about a frame that has only 1 rear engine bolt, a skeleton rear suspension mount and what I referred to as the angle iron transmission mount casting (as per attached pic) ?

Cheers
          Steve

xyz.jpg
          1914 P&M
          1915 Indian (project)
          1930 M50 Panther
          1958 M35sport Panther

Comment

Steve,
            The photo you have uploaded has two engine bolt mounts and with a skeleton opening this is a 1914 frame. From all the photos and frames I have seen only 1914 has this style of transmission casting. If you had a frame with the later transmission casting like your 1915 frame but with a single rear engine bolt this I would say is a 1916 Powerplus frame. If anyone has anymore info on this I am all ears.
            Cheers,
            Jamie

Comment

Originally posted by 26harleyj View Post
              Steve,
              The photo you have uploaded has two engine bolt mounts and with a skeleton opening this is a 1914 frame. From all the photos and frames I have seen only 1914 has this style of transmission casting. If you had a frame with the later transmission casting like your 1915 frame but with a single rear engine bolt this I would say is a 1916 Powerplus frame. If anyone has anymore info on this I am all ears.
              Cheers,
              Jamie
              Hi Jamie
              Thanks again for your input :-)
              If my 1915 frame has the 'later transmission casting' why does my 1913 frame have the same casting?
              Don't get me wrong I am not trying to argue any of this with you but merely demonstrate the vagaries of the info that seems to be out there. What would be good is a dating guide, something along the lines of

Angle iron transmission casting pre 19xx
              Deep transmission casting 19xx on
              2 rear engine bolts in line 19xx
              2 rear engine bolts not in line up to 19xx
              1 rear engine bolt from 19xx
              Solid spring mount 19xx
              Skeleton spring mount 19xx

etc

Cheers
              Steve
              1914 P&M
              1915 Indian (project)
              1930 M50 Panther
              1958 M35sport Panther

Comment

Steve
                I have to go by my memory as it has been a while since I had all my Hedstrom stuff.
                The first frame I would say is a ’14-’15. The front fork appears to be ’14 as the fork braces are smaller in diameter then the ’15 forks. But the frame does have the ’15 shifter gate and the slotted tabs above the rear leaf springs are for the ’15 type seats. While the frame does have some “’15 parts” on it, it could still be a ’14 frame as the owner updated it with the 3 speed transmission (I have seen many). I would say that the newer seats setup is a normal replacement also, as the leaf spring seats used on ’13-’14 have a tendency to break the leaf springs at the mounting hole through the leaf springs (I have seen many). Based on the front fork, I would say it is a ’14, because if he was in an accident when the bike was a couple of years old and bent the original front forks, the replacement forks would most likely be later forks.
                I agree that the second frame is a ’13 which uses either a two speed or a in/out box, by the two-speed shifter boss on the top frame tube.
                The Power Plus frames having only one rear motor mount hole in the frame. Then with PP frames, you have the location of the swivel linkage boss – on the upper neck (’16) or on the web behind the neck (’17), or no swivel linkage boss (’18-).
                The above is just my thinking about state side models, as exports models could be different.
                Sorry, but I am not familiar with little twin models.
                Hope some of this helps a little.
                Spacke2speed

Comment

Thanks again for the replies, so from what I have read I have added some numbers to the below list, do they look right?

Originally posted by panthersteve View Post
                  Angle iron transmission casting pre 19xx
                  Deep transmission casting 19xx on
                  2 rear engine bolts in line 1914/15
                  2 rear engine bolts not in line up to 1914
                  1 rear engine bolt from 1916
                  Solid spring mount 19xx
                  Skeleton spring mount 19xx
                  Last edited by panthersteve; 10-23-2017, 06:32 PM.
                  1914 P&M
                  1915 Indian (project)
                  1930 M50 Panther
                  1958 M35sport Panther

Comment

doesn't the '15 have longer fork leg braces than '14 & earlier ?

Comment

Working...
                    X