Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Powerplus identification

IMG_2936.jpg

I was hoping to get help identifying the year of this motorcycle I recently picked up. Any information would be of great help.

I believe the main fork is post 1917, so I think it would be 1918 and/or later. . . And that's about all I know I think everyone would love to see some more pictures, and an introduction is usually in order. Welcome to the AMCA forum.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Sorry, my manners seem to have left me. My name is Chase Fairless and I have been around by definition antique motorcycles for quite a while. This however is by far the oldest one I have ever been a part of much less owned. I set a goal to own this type of motorcycle by the time I turned 30 and managed it by 28. To be 100% honest it makes me a little nervous, making the wrong desicions or ruining something so hard to replace. So excuse me in advance for all of the information I will be seeking in the future. As per request here are some more photos, and thank you for the warm welcome.

Chase
      ind2.jpgind3.jpgind4.jpgind5.jpg

Comment

Well, I was going to say 1917 because it has the earlier two point yoke above the swing arm struts, rather than the later four point yoke. I think that change was made in 1918, and if anybody was going to change that they would probably go to the later style rather than the earlier. I thought the front fork was the same from 1917 thru 1919, but Eric is pretty smart, so I hate to disagree with him. A lot of changes can happen in 100 years, and the frames aren't numbered, but I would say probably 1917 to 1919 with my money on 1917. Best thing to do would be to compare to internet pictures, and maybe take it to some swap meets and show it to some of the vendors selling old injun parts.

What are you going to do with it?

Kevin
        Kevin
        https://www.youtube.com/c/motodesoto

Comment

My thoughts were of the 3-5 year timeline hoping to have a capable machine the year it would be eligible for the cannonball. Whether or not I would try to get in on it. My main goal is just to pace myself and be patient. Make smart decisions and do my best to not over pay for parts out of excitement.

Chase

Comment

Well, I would bow to Kevin's knowledge since he is in the middle of a 1916 PP project and he would know a lot about the years before, and the years after his bike. However, I believe the fork is later than 1917 because it doesn't have the tripe crown plates which ended in 1917. I had a good friend that had a 1917 PP and he needed a 1917 fork which he said was a one year only item. It's possible the fork is early, and the frame is later.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

It's a great find. Take your time and have fun with it. Go to swap meets. Be involved with your local AMCA chapter. Don't bid against me on eBay. Build it because you want to build an old bike, not just because you want to have an old bike. If you just want to have an old bike, go to an auction and buy one. It'll be quicker and cheaper. Start your own build thread and post often, you'll get more help than you can imagine.

Kevin
              Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                It's possible the fork is early, and the frame is later.
                Wait a minute, I mean the fork could be later, and the frame is earlier. Cheeze

You'll figure it out Chase, and the AMCA is a great resource, along with people like Kevin, and Dale who has a beautiful OP 1917. I love the PowerPlus series and think they were among the classiest motorcycles made in the teens.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

Another clue could be that comfort seat pivot on the upper frame tube. I'm not sure what years that was offered as an option. I believe you can fit any year of Powerplus motor to that frame, so you'll just end up titling it as whatever year the numbers on your motor indicate (when you find one).

Kevin
                  Kevin

Comment

Thanks again guys I genuinely do appreciate the help. I am already in love with the AMCA forum, spent half the day studying. I will keep you posted on progress, and try to stay away from the parts you need on eBay. If you get any good leads on a powerplus engine feel free to shoot me a message.

Chase

Comment

Welcome, Chase! Nice little project. These guys ^^^^ really know their stuff. They're obviously very good at analyzing photos, too! I continually ask questions about my bike. People will gladly answer. Don't be shy. Dale

Comment

I would say the frame is 1918 or later because it does not have the pivot bosses on the neck casting for the handlebar controls. 1918 had cable controls. Tom Wilcock #381

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Wilcock View Post
                          I would say the frame is 1918 or later because it does not have the pivot bosses on the neck casting for the handlebar controls. 1918 had cable controls. Tom Wilcock #381
                          Good point Tom. I missed that. Do you know what year the steering stops cast into the frame started?

Kevin

Kevin

Comment

The 1917 Powerplus on the previous tread appears to have the bump stops, but I could be incorrect. And unfortunately I am going to have to plead ignorance. Kevin mentioned in a previous post a two point yoke above the swing arm struts. I tried to do my best Nancy Drew and investigate the clues, but am still not sure exactly what is being referenced.

Chase

Comment

Thanks painterdale. They have already been a great help.

Comment

Working...
                              X