Need help with ID of Hedstrom Motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with ID of Hedstrom Motor

I just picked up two Indian engines at a local farm auction. One is an Indian Model O opposed twin but not sure of the year. VIN on the pad is 33K193

The other is a V-Twin that has one cylinder blanked off, but the missing cylinder and head were at the auction and I got them with the motor.
    The VIN on this one is 86E699.
    It is fitted with an early version of the Bosch DA2 magneto. The magneto is pre-1910 I believe.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Pictures will follow shortly.
    Thanks
    Mark Masa
    Mark Masa
    www.linkcycles.com

Mark,
    I'm no Indian expert but I think E = 1913 and K = 1918.
    Someone shoot me down if I'm wrong.
    Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
    A.M.C.A. # 2777
    Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Originally posted by MMasa View Post
      I just picked up two Indian engines at a local farm auction. One is an Indian Model O opposed twin but not sure of the year. VIN on the pad is 33K193

The model O was developed in 1917, catalogued in 1918 as 2-cylinder/2 1/2 hp, #'s 30K001 and up. Sucher's Iron Redskin says (somewhat vaguely) that the O was also sold in 17, but can't tell what numbers were assigned. Yours is clearly 1918.

The other is a V-Twin that has one cylinder blanked off, but the missing cylinder and head were at the auction and I got them with the motor.
      It is fitted with an early version of the Bosch DA2 magneto. The magneto is pre-1910 I believe.
      Thanks
      Mark Masa
      Sucher's Redskin appendix shows a 1912 twin 7 hp as 40E001 and up, and the next E in 1913 as a single 4 hp as a 70E001 and up.
      The in 1914 it lists an E as a single 4 hp again as 40E001 and up. .... confusing, unless we had typo errors. Makes one wonder whether singles were simply twins minus the front cylinder. Those were the years that controlling board of directors frustrated Hedstrom into resignation.

Comment

Thanks
        Mark Masa
        Model O flat twin Indian serial # codes began with the 1917 30J001 and up. 1918 model O codes began with 30K001 and up. 33K193 would be a 1918 motor.

As to the v-twin the letter code system begins with "A" for 1909 so E is 1913. The "40" prefix indicates a single cylinder while a "70" prefix indicates a twin.
        86E699 indicates a 1913 v-twin.

Suchers code listing has typographic and alignment errors.

AFJ

Comment

quote: "Suchers code listing has typographic and alignment errors." end qu

So I wonder if Hatfield's corrected this. He lists 2 E models for only 1913, the single and the twin, as you described.
          Suchers account of the K that started out as J is also confusing, as it's commonly referred to as K.

Comment

AFJ
            So the opposed is a 1918 and the V-twin is a 1913?
            Will post pictures tomorrow if anyone is interested.
            Mark Masa
            www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Originally posted by fillibuster View Post
              quote: "Suchers code listing has typographic and alignment errors." end qu

So I wonder if Hatfield's corrected this. He lists 2 E models for only 1913, the single and the twin, as you described.
              Suchers account of the K that started out as J is also confusing, as it's commonly referred to as K.
              Hatfield's list of serial #s in his Indian Motorcycle Buyer's Guide is correct as far as I know and is comparable to a handwritten list which predates both Hatfield's and Sucher's.
              The confusion lies in the fact that the letter in Indian serial (motor) number up to year 1926 is the year identifier. The Featherweight Model K was produced in 1916 when the year letter code was "H". it was never a J which was the 1917 letter code.
              The Featherweight Model K Indian 2 stroke engine bears a very close resemblance to the Levis Popular lightweight made first in 1911.
              AFJ

Comment

AFJ
                So the opposed is a 1918 and the V-twin is a 1913?
                Will post pictures tomorrow if anyone is interested.
                Yes. will be interested to see them,
                AFJ

Comment

Hedstrom Engine Pictures

IMG_9656.JPGIMG_9660.JPGIMG_9659.JPG
                  Mark Masa
                  www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Indian Model O Pictures

Motor turns over and has compression. Add a carburetor and replace the spark plug wires and I bet it would start and run.
                    Asking $3500 or offer.
                    Attached Files
                    Mark Masa
                    www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Indian Moto-Lamp

Glass is cracked and body has a few dings but otherwise quite solid.
                      Attached Files
                      Mark Masa
                      www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Glass is cracked and body has a few dings but otherwise quite solid.
                        Geez, I have absolutely NO NEED for the motors, but ....... I wish I did.
                        Somebody's going to be happy to buy them, reckon?

Comment

Working...
                        X