1919 Powerplus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1919 Powerplus

Hi everyone - wondering if anyone out there would happen to have an automatic oiler worm gear (N-2612) for sale? The gear remained the same from 1916 thru 1920. Also, how about the transmission safety gate return spring for a 3-speed?

One last thing, does anyone have contact info for Tom McDonald?

Thx - Tim

I'm on the road, but I might have a spare worm gear. Don't really want to sell it, but if you have anything good to trade, I'm all ears.

I could also use a safety gate return spring. Mine is home made.

Kevin

Kevin
    https://www.youtube.com/c/motodesoto

Comment

Appreciate the quick reply Kevin. Unfortunately I am fairly new to the game and don't have much to trade other than a '46 - '47 Chief rear fender in reasonable shape, which if you are into the older machines, won't be of much use to you.

Thx - Tim

Comment

Tim,

Sorry, I assumed you were talking about the other part of that gear set; N2600, which is integral with the pinion gear. Now I've looked at my parts book and I see that N2612 is the gear on the oiler itself. I'm certain that I don't have an extra one of those. I should tell you that parts that fit 1916 Indians are fairly precious right now, more so than usual because several of us are building 1916 Indians for the 2016 Motorcycle Cannonball and we're all competing for the available resources. If you can wait until after September of next year, prices might be lower if you do find one for sale. Good luck with the hunt. Sorry I can't help you out.

I'm curious, did your worm gear fail in service?

Kevin

Kevin

Comment

No, it didn't actually fail. I started with a frame in very rough shape and the engine which was seized and had been treated very badly as it rusted away. After a couple of months of submersion in a tub of diesel, the engine was basically dismantled backwards - cylinder studs removed, cases split and then the bottom end, freeing the cylinders. The pistons were then pushed out. Once we got to the gear case, it was filled with everything from dirt to grass, oil & some diesel! The oiler drive gear & brass retainer were absolutely seized. Sadly by the time it was over the retainer and gear were in pieces. Have located a retainer, just missing the drive gear and realizing, as you mentioned, that it might be a long search.

Appreciate your interest. Good luck with your 1916 and the Cannonball. Should you come across a spare gear, please get in touch in case I have yet to be successful.

Tim

Comment

Tim, if you ever have some photos to share of your project I'd love to see what you've gotten yourself into! Sounds like a major project and it could lend some inspiration to others!
            Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
              Tim, if you ever have some photos to share of your project I'd love to see what you've gotten yourself into! Sounds like a major project and it could lend some inspiration to others!
              I'll second that.

Kevin
              Kevin

Comment

Have many photos, will put some together. Thx for your interest. T

Comment

Like Harry, and Kevin said. My favorite motorcycles are H-Ds and Indians from 1915-1924 with the early J, and Powerplus at the top of the heap. Love to see your pictures Tim.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

1st group of photos

P1020075.jpgP1020082.jpgP1020084.jpgP1020085.jpgP1020086.jpg

Hope I have attached photos correctly. First & second show what we started with - not much! Next 3 overall appearance after being in a tub of diesel for about a month. Will send another batch right away. Tim

Comment

2nd batch

P1020092.jpgP1020099.jpgP1020100.jpgP1020105.jpgP1020107.jpg

Second photo shows how gunked up the insides were, the pinion gear & worm were very badly corroded, as was the oiler drive gear, basically rendering them both useless even if we had managed to get them out whole. Third, as you can see, shows the gears removed, fourth some more gunk. The last shot shows the 'reverse process' we used to fully dismantle the engine.

Have a couple more, will send asap.

Comment

3rd batch

P1020239.jpgP10205150.jpgP10205151.jpg

So here we have the disassembled motor minus the cylinders, finally. While this next shot is really just a photo op as there are no guts yet put in the cases, the engine is beginning to look as though it might eventually amount to something. Last photo is where we are today, progress being measured by how many pieces have yet to be found and once found how much cleaning and repair work will be required to make them look presentable.

While I certainly enjoy the process and am pleased with progress so far ( started on this one a couple of years ago), I can't help but feel a bit envious of the fellow that posted some photos the other day of his barn find. By comparison it looked brand new!! Deep sigh followed by heavy silence. Perhaps the next one I start will be less decrepit.

Enjoy, smirk if you like, pass along names of folks who might have the missing parts if you can.

Later - Tim

Comment

Bringing a motorcycle back from the dead is a great accomplishment.You have done an amazing job thus far Tim. I hope you keep us updated on your progress.
                          Eric Smith
                          AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks for posting those pictures Tim. You've come a long way. Good work, I'm glad you're saving the old girl.

As for parts, eBay and the AMCA swap meets seem to be the main markets, but I'm sure you've figured that out by now. The AMCA meet at Wauseon Ohio is one of the best, or possibly the best, and it happens next weekend if you didn't already know. I'll be there.

Based on a couple of the parts in your pictures, I think you've already found Randy Walker and Walker Machine. Other reproducers that have been helpful to me include Ziggy Kapuscinski and the Smiths, Mike and Jethro. If you need any details, let me know. Unfortunately, I don't know of anyone who is producing automatic oiler parts.

If you know of anyone selling cam followers and valve lifts, new or used, please let me know. Yours look much better than mine.

BTW - the one sided handle bar is interesting...

Kevin

Last edited by Shaky Jake; 07-11-2015, 01:32 PM.
                            Kevin

Comment

Thx guys. Have connected with all the above and a few others. Will keep searching. And the handlebar - that is for extra challenge when riding! Tim

Comment

Working...
                              X