No announcement yet.

Exploded PowerPlus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indian offered the Standard in 1923 which was the last leaf spring rear suspension, but I think there were also exports in '24. I've heard that Harley-Davidson did a lot of trash talk in trade journals, and encouraged their dealers to warn shoppers that Indian's rear suspension broke chains and would leave a rider stranded. However, I have never seen anything in print to that effect. I think the reason the rear spring suspension was dropped was due to the poplularity of the new Scout, and the Big Chief, and it just cost too much to produce. Of course it came back in a new configuration in 1940.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Hey Eric.Spoke with my friend last night about the pic.The guy displayed the poster size pic and the bike at Oley.He was there 2 years.My buddy says about 10,but i think more like 15 years ago.I was wrong about the diassemble from new part.It was a pre assembly pic of his restoration.
      Tom

Comment

The copywrite date of this book is 1974, so I have to assume the picture was taken before that. To me, the picture looks like a professional job, but the lighting looks a bit "arty" and that makes me think it is a restoration photo. If the picture had been taken by Indian in 1916, I have to think they would have used a portrait camera and a glass plate and the photograph would have been very crisp and evenly lighted. Before you get the impression that I know what I'm talking about, I have a friend that is a professional photographer and photo historian. He has made the comment that early photographs done on glass plates are incredibly sharp and fine. He also said that professional portrait cameras had very good lenses with precision ground optics. People knew what they were doing in the old days, and nothing is new.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by Rub View Post
          For some reason when I see that pic Shorty Tompkins name jumps into my head. Can't quite make the connection yet.
          When you mentioned Shorty Tomkins, I had to wonder. Whoever did the resoration, and the photo knew their stuff.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

There was an article in "Smithsonion " magazine back in the '80s about antique motorcycles and restorers that comes to mind. I'll have to research it a little more. I think I saved the mag somewhere.
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I remember that Smithsonian article. There was also a great picture of Otis Spiker and his KJ.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

Hi guys thought I would through in my two bobs worth, I noticed that the fuel tank dose not have an Indian script on it which I would read as a resoration as Indian would shorely put it on just for advertisment sake.I wish the one I am doing was that far advanced

Thanks for the great photo I will be studing it for a while.
                Treasure (John).

Comment

Excellent observation John. I'm laughing at myself right now because I didn't even notice that until you mentioned it.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
                  X