Indian Four Sprocket ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Four Sprocket ?

Any comments on installing an 18 tooth front sprocket on a 440? Seems with all the torque and ability to ride off in second gear that an extra tooth would get one from an easy 50mph lope up to 55ish? Depending on issue(s) does anyone know of a source for one?

Steve Klein
    AMCA Member 12176
    Texas USA
    Steve Klein
    Collector . Conservator . Enthusiast
    American Pre-teens - 1965
    AMCA Member 12176
    Cherokee Chapter President, Editor
    www.CherokeeAMCA.org
    Steve@SteveKlein.com
    Georgetown, TX USA

Originally posted by stevekleincustom View Post
    Any comments on installing an 18 tooth front sprocket on a 440? Seems with all the torque and ability to ride off in second gear that an extra tooth would get one from an easy 50mph lope up to 55ish? Depending on issue(s) does anyone know of a source for one?

Steve Klein
    AMCA Member 12176
    Texas USA
    try roy davies; retiredsfcroy@yahoo.com
    CHIEFJ48
    MEMBER #2786

TO THE WORLD YOU MAY BE ONE PERSON, BUT TO ONE PERSON YOU MAY BE THE WORLD.

LIFE IS NOT MEASURED BY THE NUMBER OF BREATHS WE TAKE, BUT BY THE MOMENTS THAT TAKE OUR BREATH AWAY

Comment

Howdy Steve,

Sprockets do make a difference but selecting one in the case of this machine/year range has to considered in context with use and wheel diameter. First off, the difference between a 5.00 x 16 and a full 4.50 x 18 (Coker) is dramatic . Back when replacement sprockets were unavailable, I had Roy's father weld up several for me - of which one was even a 19, but that requires notching your upper/lower case to run - and installed one on my 440 which is on 4.50 x 18's. It made for a delightfully relaxed cantering runner at highway speed...on predominately flat ground that is, as I discovered to my dismay in the Ozarks riding two up for the first time. On the other hand, the 18 on my 441 with smaller diameter 5.00 x 16's feels just right and is more versatile albeit accompanied by higher rev's.

But, don't let those revs fool you when riding along side seemingly relaxed V twin's. Y'all may very well be turning the same rpm, you're just firing twice the number of cylinders for every crank rotation.

Also, I'd be cautious about equating that drive off torque from rest to power on the upper end of the rev range, it's mainly an assist from that 20+lb flywheel but, more meaningful in this case, an intake manifold (and that small carb) whose sweet spot for good fuel atomization and power is oriented very much to lower rpm. These machines begin to run completely out of breath at highway speeds when put under load compared to a Chief or more dramaticaly an OHV'r like a Knuckle. As I've mentioned in previous posts, their achilles heal is heat dissipation at the exhaust valve area which seems, in my experience, to be more readily exceeded by elevated cylinder pressures - which comes from low rpm/high torque situations, than just outright rev's at low load. The latter, if you're in a hot climate and it becomes an issue, can be abated some by just opening your exhaust valve clearances for a little more seat dwell. If you live in hilly terrain, ride two up or pull a chair and have 4.50 x 18's I'd be more inclined to stick with a 17, but if none of those apply, I've sure enjoyed my 18 over the last 13 years even if a little compromise is required occassionally.

I have no idea if Guy Henderson is still in this business but here's the page on his website showing a selection of drive sprockets including the 18.
      Last edited by PRG; 08-15-2008, 10:20 AM.
      Cheerio,
      Peter
      1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Four Cyl. Sprockets

This all came up in anther post. Anyway. Regarding the 17 tooth sprocket, there is no mention by you fellas of your rear sprocket, just as important as the rest of the components. Indian had two or three rear sprockets, two of which were a 36T and a 40T for 1929. The forty tooth was likely for side car altho that is what is on my 29. I am running 17 to 40 Tooth and 400 X 18 Tires/Wheels (26) inch. seems like its screaming like a crotch rocket and pulls like a D-9 ( Dozer.) I was thinking I need the 36 Tooth shown in the parts book. I think the forty tooth was for side car use. By 1938, only the one rear 43 Tooth is show with 17 tooth solo and 15 tooth side car. The latter is probably you fellas set up. Your thoughts please....Joe
        Joe AMCA# 3435

Comment

i like the 18T on my '38-'41 fours
          CHIEFJ48
          MEMBER #2786

LIFE IS NOT MEASURED BY THE NUMBER OF BREATHS WE TAKE, BUT BY THE MOMENTS THAT TAKE OUR BREATH AWAY

Comment

Chief J48

So you would be running 18T to 43Tooth rear? 450 X 16 Tire? Is that your set up?..Thanks..Joe
            Joe AMCA# 3435

Comment

Originally posted by partshunt View Post
              So you would be running 18T to 43Tooth rear? 450 X 16 Tire? Is that your set up?..Thanks..Joe
              i use it for both 16,&18in rims
              CHIEFJ48
              MEMBER #2786

Comment

OK Kool! Thanks but still, is your rear sprocket a 43 Tooth er wut? ha ha...Joe
                Joe AMCA# 3435

Comment

Originally posted by partshunt View Post
                  OK Kool! Thanks but still, is your rear sprocket a 43 Tooth er wut? ha ha...Joe
                  43T.........
                  CHIEFJ48
                  MEMBER #2786

Comment

Ok Chief:- Thank you for that. Robbie Robinson calculated my RPM at 60 MPH to be aprox 2965 RPM. It was very good of him to calc that for me, I have no info to figure that out. Yours would be close to that also I be thinkin....Joe
                    Joe AMCA# 3435

Comment

Indian Four Sprocket Conclusion

Gentlemen;

Since I started this thread I felt I would thank you all for input and give you my results.

I finished my 440 in late November 08 and now have almost 1,500 miles logged on it. It's been a pretty cold Dec/Jan/Feb so I get it out whenever I can. I bought an 18 tooth front sprocket and love it. My rear sprocket is a 43 tooth, and I am running 16 inch rubber. The machine ran quite comfortably at 50ish on the 17 tooth and now lopes at 60-65 on the 18 tooth. I enjoy running all my vintage machines on back Hill Country roads north and west of Austin TX in 2nd and 3rd gear from 35-45 mph...but at times we need to run a stretch of highway to get to these great back country roads.

Special Thanks should be noted for Huggy Bear in Ventura CA for finding me two pieces of top fender trim to complete my resto.

You are right...there is nothing like running a Four down the road for an afternoon.

Sincerely;
                      Steve Klein
                      AMCA Member 12176
                      Texas
                      Steve Klein
                      Collector . Conservator . Enthusiast
                      American Pre-teens - 1965
                      AMCA Member 12176
                      Cherokee Chapter President, Editor
                      www.CherokeeAMCA.org
                      Steve@SteveKlein.com
                      Georgetown, TX USA

Comment

May The Fours Be With You!!!
                        CHIEFJ48
                        MEMBER #2786

Comment

Working...
                        X