Front Wheel Removal Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Wheel Removal Help

Hello! I'm putting new tires on my 439 again. I had the wheels off for new tires years ago but I forgot how I did it. I can't get the front wheel off. I removed the axle bolt but the hollow axle is sticking through the rocker arm too far to let the wheel drop out. I'm sure I am missing something obvious but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all the great help!
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

On the side not shown is there a spacer to be removed so the wheel and or brake assy. can shift over?
    DrSprocket

Comment

no, the spacer on the other side is locked in.. I might try spreading the forks a little. very carefully....

Comment

I have a 46 so not personally familiar with your machine. In the AMCA Library I found this:
        Indian Riders Instruction book 1939

"REMOVING THE WHEELS

Model 339 and 439 interchangeable wheels

The brake drum always remains in place when the wheel is removed.

To remove the front wheel take off the axle nut on the Right side of the machine;
        loosen and remove the six taper head bolts holding the wheel to the brake drum,
        and pull the axle out from the Left hand side.
        Pull the wheel to the LEFT away from the brake drum and free of the machine.

When assembling be sure all the nuts are tightened.

To remove the rear wheel
        Remove the nuts that hold the outside fender braces to the frame studs and slip braces off
        so that the rear section of the fender may be hinged up.
        THEN remove the axle nut on the Right side of the machine;
        loosen and remove the six taper head bolts holding the wheel to the brake drum,
        and pull the axle out from the Left hand side.
        Pull the wheel to the LEFT away from the brake drum and free of the machine.

When assembling be sure all the nuts are tightened."

Hope this helps

Personal suggestion deflate tires whenever removing.
        Good Luck

Comment

That is just what I needed, Thank you!!

Comment

I don't recall problems with pre-war Indians for wheel removal, but modern tires can be a factor. I assume you're using 4.50x18 tires so that shouldn't be as much of a problem as 5.00x16 tires. I think the biggest problem with ANY motorcycle wheel removal is getting the bike up high enough to clear fenders, and that is a whole problem in itself, regardless of make, model, or year.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
            X