1940- 1941 indian four

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1940- 1941 indian four

was hoping someone could tell me the difference between a indian four 1940 and a 41 frame, sheetmetal, etc. all the stuff i read does not go into it much,i know the location of the frame # is in a different spot, the speedo. amp guage and carb are different but not much else., any help would be appreciated
    thanks chris

The '40 fenders are flat on the sides...no bulge where the skirts attach.
    The trim strips are half-round.
    I think '40 is the last year for the Indian face horn.

Comment

thanks, charlie.... my front fender is flat but the rear has a bulge, was the rear flat also, pictures seem to show it bulged on rear? thanks chris

Comment

You're right...my memory grows dim...

Comment

I have a 1940 Chief that I stuggled to make correct. Aside from the frame, engine, and gas tanks, everything else is the same for both bikes. The distinctive features of the 1940 are the flat side front fender, 5/16" half round fender trim, rear slippers are one year only (no reinforcing rib), the front fork is one year only (slightly narrower than '41), dimmer switch is shaped differently and uses a toggle arm, 18" rims exclusively, square tool box that mounts on the right side under the tailpipe, last year for the feather face horn, and 1940 used the Motolamp headlight. Regarding the frame #, I have seen that stamped on the left side slipper on the flat surface that faces up. I have also seen the frame # in the usual place on 1940's as well. One other weird thing I have been told is that the rear fender braces should be on the outside of the rear bumper. I hope someone else writes in with other observations because I'm sure I've missed something on my bike.

Comment

thanks for all that info, i seem to be correct on all but the half round trim , mine is flat, does anyone know who sells it? thanks chris

Comment

40 half round trim source

Howdy Chris,

Reckon you've probably located a source by now - there wasn't 13 years ago when hunting mine, had to line up original - but Todd has it listed in his Jerry Greer catalogue and at his site.

I've not seen it first hand but it comes from Allan Forbes in Scotland from whom I've bought two seats and a replica 40-4 (one year only) ignition switch to use for riding in lieu of my original. All his stuff is exceptional.

Don't know if you're justing desiring to get your 440 looking original or want to get over the top but all the original pieces I sourced came with spring clips to retain them to the fenders, not the customary retaining plates with small nuts as you see commonly used for square section trim.

Also, you'll see original fender trim - both rectangular/round - referred to in the factory parts books as "chrome", which it is not, rather, a highly polished alloy of sort but decidely not the geyish aluminum as is sold now.

Comment

40 features

Howdy Exeric,

Instrument panel: 40 has a 130mph Corbin (41 has a 110mph), a Conn Tel ammeter and a flat face ignition switch with a small chrome trim ring around it's perimeter (41's have the same switch without the trim ring).

Chris, the latter item, the 40 switch, is a toughy if you don't have it, not many survive. These switches uses very thin copper tension loaded plates to make electrical contact and any resistance (corrosion) heats up the small plates and anneals them. I took one look at my very original - and as I planned to put many miles on this machine - put it on the shelf and ordered a very accurate repop from Allan Forbes. No, the ignition switch has no tumblers so the key is just a blade and there's no spring trap door to insert the key through, but they are great for riders and appear way more accurate than post war switches with sloping faces and lands right around the key insert.

Comment

Well Im sure glad to hear someone has had better luck than I with Mr Forbes ! I ordered (2) two 1940 Ing. switches and only recieved one and have never heard back from him after many e-mails! So buyer beware ! This was over 4 years ago !!! GOOD LUCK!

PS: the one switch I did get is nice and I do have 1 each of the originals,bone and black,sorry not for sale1

Comment

Working...
                  X