Pic of the proper front brake clevis for a 1939 Four

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pic of the proper front brake clevis for a 1939 Four

Working on details of a 1939 Indian Four project I've had at the back of the shop for a few decades. The front brake clevis on it (attaches the cable to the brake arm at the brake plate) looks like a period Harley clevis. Thinking that isn't right, but can't find a definitive pic of a correct one. If someone would post a pic of the proper clevis, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.
    Chuck S.

Chuck, for the Chief anyway, Greer's is pretty darn accurate in listing the proper part for the proper year. Don't know how they do on the Four as far as accuracy goes, but they do show the clevis:
    https://www.jerrygreersengineering.c...1939&modelid=3
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Appreciate the link. Mine has a "square" cross section like a period Harley, not a hex like the Greer drawing.

Thanks.
      Chuck S.

Comment

PM me your phone number. I'll take pics of my 440 if that will help you tomorrow. Ill send you mine so you can call me during the day to remind me. I'll be in the garage most of the day.
        D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Hi Chuck,
          Here's a picture of a Harley part (left) and the Indian part (right). The Harley part is shorter with a wider cross section than the Indian part. The Indian part is also beveled at the edges while the Harley part is not. The top nuts are both are hexagonal (not shown) and are very similar but the Harley part has a larger thread. If you need more information or pictures on the part installed on my 39 let me know and I'll try to get it done for you. At this time the bike is in storage and difficult to get to.

Steve Slaminko
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

DA, Apologies, just saw your post and PM.
            Steve, Your pic is EXACTLY what I needed. My clevis is definitely a Harley one as I suspected.
            Thanks to you both for your replies!
            Appreciated,
            Chuck S.

Comment

Working...
            X