Fuel bowl gas catcher?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel bowl gas catcher?

Does anyone have a spare overflow fuel catcher for a Linkert Carb? Or maybe what to use for a reproduction one? I have heard of 4clinders catching on fire when flooding gas drips on the magneto.

Thanks, Ben

Ben!

I think they were often called "scuppers", and just a piece of bent sheet metal to direct overflow.

Face it, its only a band-aid if something is wrong with the carb; Probably the float, or the petcock if it happens while sitting.

....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-24-2016, 01:42 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
      Ben!

I think they were often called "scuppers", and just a piece of bent sheet metal to direct overflow.

Face it, its only a band-aid if something is wrong with the carb; Probably the float, or the petcock if it happens while sitting.

....Cotten
      Thanks. I have seen them cast out of aluminum and seen one on Ebay a few weeks ago in a pile of stuff. the whole pile went for under $40.00. Wish I had bid on it. As often happens, the needle valve gets a pice of dirt or something in it and will stick once in awhile. I saw a 4 cyl catch on fire at Sturgis a few years ago because of a needle valve sticking and gas dripping on the mag. Not a pretty sight for sure.

Comment

That's avoidable, Ben!

Worn floatlevers can be reconditioned, so with a proper float, it won't hang up and overflow.
        And of course, a filter would catch particles coming out of the tank.
        New valves are available if necessary, even for Scheblers.

....Cotten
        AMCA #776

Comment

Would there be a chance someone might have some pics of one of these? I am thinking it might be a good idea to have one in place when I get mine running again.
          “People who say it cannot be done, should not interrupt those who are doing it” ― Bernard Shaw

Comment

The discussions I read, Kustomizer,..

Suggested that most were home-made. The Wigwam would never produce an advertisement for a problem, especially if it were a result of wear and tear and time.

You could always get a 'velocity stack' to make it drool away from the ignition, but its probably easier to just cure the drool.

....Cotten

AMCA #776

Comment

I am planning to use the best stuff I can in every part of this project, nos carb, black float, marks magneto restore on mag, new petcocks, etc, and thought that the carb directly above the mag could be a problem and a diverter of some kind might not be a bad idea and a pic or two would be cool.
              “People who say it cannot be done, should not interrupt those who are doing it” ― Bernard Shaw

Comment

Don't look now, Kustomizer,...

But there are black floats,.. and then there are black floats.

They are not all the same, I guarantee it.

Aside from that, please pay special attention to wear and play on the floatlever that may allow a float to hang up on the bowlstem, even with the proper offset: The best modern reproduction levers can still be sweetened for fit upon the pin. And although the carbs were not produced with a bowl gasket, a thin one is prudent. Please beware of thick H-D -52 model productions.

....Cotten
                PS: I've got a ~4" Linkert velocity stack, but I'm using it for a pen holder.
                Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-03-2021, 09:40 PM.
                AMCA #776

Comment

Is the rubber ducky the better one or do you lika another, if so why?

Comment

Originally posted by kustomizer View Post
                    Is the rubber ducky the better one or do you lika another, if so why?
                    I sent Bruce A. this pic a couple of years ago, so he knows, Folks!

STUKDUKS.JPG

And just to be fair, here is a Starklite stuck in the bowl...

BLAKQUAK.jpg
                    (It weighs three times too much anyway,...)

And don't forget Tedd's...

TEDBLOT1.JPG

These use basically the original "Armstrong" formula of material...

STUKARM.jpg
                    (Note the three 'sprues' on top that identify OEM floats from the early '50s on.)

I machine seven different antique American motorcycle designs of floats from the latest, and most fuel resistant formula.

Linkert replacement.jpg

That's why they ain't cheap.

But still, you never know what this year's summer blend will be like!

....Cotten
                    Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-04-2021, 12:01 PM.
                    AMCA #776

Comment

How do I get one for a linkert M-441, the cork one that came in it sure is pretty but I don't plan to run it.

Comment

Originally posted by kustomizer View Post
                        How do I get one for a linkert M-441, the cork one that came in it sure is pretty but I don't plan to run it.
                        The easiest way is to email your postal address to me at liberty@npoint.net, and I can get one into the mail directly, Kustomizer!

My formletter reply follows:

The Linkert replacement is now $45, and postage is $4.20 or less in the USA; It is cut to accept your original cork float pivotnut/screw, and should be set to book spec of 1/4 inch. (Schebler and Marvel replacements are now $55, and also to be set to book spec.)

You will find a duplicated invoice within the stick-on label packet upon the outside of the parcel; Please keep one copy, and return the other with your check. Your interest is greatly appreciated!

....Cotten
                        Liberty Motorcycle Specialties, Inc.
                        118 N. Washington Street
                        Lacon, IL 61540 USA
                        Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-04-2021, 09:34 PM.
                        AMCA #776

Comment

Email sent, thanks

What else do you make I might need?

Comment

Unfortunately, Kustomizer,..

I am only able to supply floats and two-cylinder manifold services at this time.

Happy to help when I can, Thanks!

....Cotten
                            AMCA #776

Comment

I found a really nice looking black float in my mailbox today, I will get some money heading yout direction in the next day or two.
                              thanks
                              mark

Comment

Working...
                              X