dropping lower crancase 440

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dropping lower crancase 440

I have decided the only safe thing to do is drop the lower crankcase...to find the elusive nut..after I removed the gear cover I found that the oil pump gear nut never had a cotter pin through it and was backed out all the way and rubbing against the cover..glad I made the decision to do this now...looking for advice on how to separate the cases
    thanks chris

I am so sorry to hear that Chris. That is a miserable job. You can see in the picture I posted that I've been there, and like you, I wanted to minimize the amount of stuff I had to take off. I hope you can wrangle some help when you flip the motor as I had to do this by myself. I used furniture blankets to roll it up on it's side, and then finagled it on the wood blocks. The only benefit to all of this, is the opportunity to check all of your rod, and main cap bolts, as well as clearances. Again, sorry you have to go through it but liberating your mind from worry has value. Hell of a way to spend Christmas though.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

The lost nut may be sitting on top of the baffles. You may want to suspend the motor right side up on the motor mounts and drop the pan. If you invert the motor beforehand you may lose the small nut where you don't want it to go.
      D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

I pulled the pan off while the motor was on it's side which you have to do with a Henderson. I guess an Indian 4 has the mounts on the top case. I would still flip the motor (after you do your search) and check your bolts, and clearances.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

please tell me if iam wrong but I believe on a 1940 you can drop the lower case without pulling the engine...I have all the screws out...just looking for advice on how to split cases...thanks chris

Comment

please tell me if iam wrong but I believe on a 1940 you can drop the lower case without pulling the engine...I have all the screws out...just looking for advice on how to split cases...thanks chris
            I think you can.
            Remove all the screws between case halves.
            Remove timing cover and screws.
            Let us know if there is anything else.

Comment

all screws are out but the halves wont separate ...don't want to force it...tried putty knives and mallet..no luck..what ever was used when they were assembled is working all to well.. help

Comment

The Indian 4 lower pan cannot be removed with the engine in the frame. There is not enough clearance between the frame tubes at the rear engine mounts to allow the pan to drop. Tom Wilcock

Comment

half finally came apart...many putty knives slow and sure....determined their is no way to get half off without pulling engine...thanks for all the advice..chris

Comment

found nut wedged between pan and case......lots of grit below the oil pump intake....all in all this was the best thing to do.....thanks for all the input, chris

Comment

Yay-now you know!
                      Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

Glad you found it Chris. These old motorcycle will sure make you pay for a little bit of knowledge. But, now you're an expert
                        Eric Smith
                        AMCA #886

Comment

found nut wedged between pan and case
                          I want to know if you removed pan with engine in or engine out.

Comment

would not come off without pulling engine...believe me I tried

Comment

Originally posted by cscott View Post
                              found nut wedged between pan and case.
                              Peace of mind! But it's not clear to me if you found the nut inside the oil sump, or wedged somewhere outside the sump??

I think between finding the missing cotter pin and the crud found in the pan all your efforts were not a waste of time! Happy New Year!
                              Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Working...
                              X