Shift arm lever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shift arm lever

Anyone want to measure the length of the small arm connected to the shift lever on their four for me? I think my lever is not right as I have too long of range from 1st to 3rd. Thanks Stan

Stan,

My (left hand) shifter arm measures 1 3/4" from the pivot axis to the center of the linkage hole. The transmission arm which it links to measures 1 1/4".

But I always wondered if mine was correct - it also seems like a long range, but, at the same time, 1st and Neutral are so close that it's almost impossible to shift 1st - N without going too far and scraping a bit of 2nd.

This is the only Four I've ever ridden, so I have nothing else to reference to. I always wanted to ask, so thanks for bringing it up It's a '41 engine on a '39 bike, but I don't know if that would matter.

Rich

Comment

rwar, I forgot to mention mine is a 36 four. There is a difference, on the lever mounting, My shift lever is to the rear of the tanks, where the later 4's the lever is mounted in front of the tanks, but don't think it will make a difference on the shift lever arm length. My tranny lever is 3in hole center to hole center. Maybe you have the one I need, and I have the one you need? Thanks for checking. Stan

Comment

2nd to third is a long throw on my 40. 1st N 2nd isn't that bad. Left hand shifter.
        D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Been away and just noticed this thread. I will measure mine tomorrow for you. But I believe Greer's on-line catalog provides the dimensions for that arm.

regards,
          Rob
          Regards,
          Rob Sigond
          AMCA # 1811

Comment

I have a 1935 Four and the lever centers measure 2 3/4" out of the transmission and 3 1/2" on the frame, and yes there is quite a bit of gear lever movement to get the gears.
            Hope this is of help to you.
            Regards
            Paul
            AMCA#24040 - too many toys - not enough time

Comment

Originally posted by dirtyss View Post
              I have a 1935 Four and the lever centers measure 2 3/4" out of the transmission and 3 1/2" on the frame, and yes there is quite a bit of gear lever movement to get the gears.
              Hope this is of help to you.
              Regards
              Paul
              Paul Thanks for taking the time to measure the levers. This helps me find the correct lever, which I will probably need to make. Stan

Comment

Stan
                Can photo the lever for you, but I may need some help uploading it onto this forum.
                Regards
                Paul
                AMCA#24040 - too many toys - not enough time

Comment

Originally posted by dirtyss View Post
                  Stan
                  Can photo the lever for you, but I may need some help uploading it onto this forum.
                  Regards
                  Paul
                  That will be great if you figure out how to post a photo. That picture posting stuff is beyond capability. Thanks, Stan

Comment

Working...
                  X