Let's Play SPOT THAT PROBLEM!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's Play SPOT THAT PROBLEM!!

WhenI got my 439 it had a timing cover leak. I remember the cover having a leak when my friend Mike owned it. My cousin had told him it was an easy fix, but Mike refused to take the cover off after Irv Truax had rebuilt the engine. It was a drip when I saw it, or so it appeared. It apparently was more than a drip or became more than a drip over time. Bike was stored since 2008.

When I got the bike there was about 2 quarts of oil in the sump. I changed the oil and the next morning found a lake of oil on my lift, all running out of the timing cover. So, I ordered a new gasket from Fickau and took the cover off today.

I've laid the old gasket over the cover on my bench.

Here is today's challenge. The winner will get two free round trip tickets for two to Benghazi.

Who can spot the problem??

This is why I'm not a big fan of silicone sealant. Yes it is a great sealant. But before it cures, it is slipperier than a sneaker full of baby poop. So, what you see here is a typical problem when you use silicone on gaskets that can be easily deformed.

The Fickau gasket, which arrived this week, is a rubberized cork. I'm thinking of using Permatex Aviation Formagasket. But I'm open to experienced suggestions for a better choice with known results.

regards,
    Rob
    Regards,
    Rob Sigond
    AMCA # 1811

Originally posted by Snakeoil View Post
    I'm thinking of using Permatex Aviation Formagasket. But I'm open to experienced suggestions for a better choice with known results.
    Had good luck with Hylomar, kinda hard to find though.
    http://www.hylomarsealant.com/
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

are you sure someone did not remove the cover than replace it . some of the screw holes look to be punctured twice.
      rob ronky #10507
      www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Looks like the gasket isn't shaped correctly on the right side.
        VPH-D

Comment

Can't speak to what may have happened to that cover before I owned the bike. The elongated holes do raise the question regarding fit and such.

I've heard others, mostly in the UK mention Hylomar. I'll see if I cannot locate some.

I did find another issue when I checking the fit of the cover to the engine. The large cotter pin that holds the collar in place for the idler gear hits the cover. I suspect this may be a repop cover and the cover was not dimpled deep enough. So, I spoke with Irv Truax and told him I wanted to replace the cotter pin with a 5/32" roll pin and he agreed that was a good solution. I did dish out the cover a bit on my shot bag with a dead blow mallet. With the cotter out, the cover comes down nicely now.

regards,
          Rob
          Regards,
          Rob Sigond
          AMCA # 1811

Comment

Yamabond found at most Yamaha dealers.

Comment

Irv also likes Hylomar. Could not get it locally. Graingers sells it, but would have to order it. Might as well order it on-line.

I considered #2 Permatex and Super High Tack. I decided that since cork gaskets like to squirm and flow out of position and the bottom half of the cover is always in oil, high tack might be a better solution. So that's what I used.

Irv said if it fails again, to cut a gasket from thick paper gasket material. That's what I'll do if I have to and by then should have Hylomar or can try Permatex #2. High Tack has to sit for 3 hours before being stressed so I'm just going to leave it over the weekend and put new oil in the engine at the beginning of the week.

regards,
              Rob
              Regards,
              Rob Sigond
              AMCA # 1811

Comment

I've bought Hylomar at the local H-D dealer, it works well.
                VPH-D

Comment

Good tip. Rarely stop by the HD dealer anymore. Have no need for chrome doo-dads or leather underwear.

Will fill the crankcase today and fire her up to see how well she is sealed. Irv said he remembered Mike buying a repop cover in the white and having it plated. As I worked on making sure the flange was flat, I was not impressed with the cover. Flange is a little skimpy and there was a deformed area at 6 o'clock. Squeezed it in the vise with aluminum jaws trying not to hurt the nickel, but it cracked anyway. I can live with it. Better a crack in the plate than a leak. May see if I can find an original.

Had a brain phardt this morning and conjured up a finned aluminum cover design in my head. Irv said Indian found that 70% percent of the cooling for the engine is thru the oil and only 30% via air. So, a finned fron timing cover would be a good improvement if I can get it to fit with the extra thickness of the fins.

regards,
                  Rob
                  Regards,
                  Rob Sigond
                  AMCA # 1811

Comment

Just thought I'd follow up and report that after several rides totally a whopping 14 miles, the high tack worked fine. Gasket stayed in place and dusty dry.

Still need to get some Hylomar. Gonna get an extra tube as a present for Irv.

regards,
                    Rob
                    Regards,
                    Rob Sigond
                    AMCA # 1811

Comment

Have only been able to find Hylomar on EBay to date, excellent sealer.

Comment

If you have smooth true surfaces, you wont need any gasket goop.Can you picture them fellas on the assembly line dinkin with cans of gasket goop all over the place?. They dont have the time to paint or spray gaskets. The only time to use any dope for a gasket is contact type cement on one side only to keep a snaky weaving long gasket in position on assembly. The type of gasket that could drop out of position on assembly. Dry gaskets on dry surfaces wont "sh%t out of position...
                        Joe AMCA# 3435

Comment

Originally posted by partshunt View Post
                          If you have smooth true surfaces, you wont need any gasket goop.Can you picture them fellas on the assembly line dinkin with cans of gasket goop all over the place?. They dont have the time to paint or spray gaskets. The only time to use any dope for a gasket is contact type cement on one side only to keep a snaky weaving long gasket in position on assembly. The type of gasket that could drop out of position on assembly. Dry gaskets on dry surfaces wont "sh%t out of position...
                          I don't disagree with that. As a general rule, I never use sealers on gaskets. I clean the surface, and simply install the gasket. But, cork gaskets are a little squirrelly. Sometimes they stay put and others all it takes is the tiniest intrusion of oil and they are like trying to hold a fish in your bare hands.

I read all the application info for the various Permatex products and decided on the HighTack, because it is just as you described, a contact cement. Time will tell if it holds up in service.

regards,
                          Rob
                          Regards,
                          Rob Sigond
                          AMCA # 1811

Comment

Originally posted by Snakeoil View Post
                            Good tip. Rarely stop by the HD dealer anymore. Have no need for chrome doo-dads or leather underwear.

Will fill the crankcase today and fire her up to see how well she is sealed. Irv said he remembered Mike buying a repop cover in the white and having it plated. As I worked on making sure the flange was flat, I was not impressed with the cover. Flange is a little skimpy and there was a deformed area at 6 o'clock. Squeezed it in the vise with aluminum jaws trying not to hurt the nickel, but it cracked anyway. I can live with it. Better a crack in the plate than a leak. May see if I can find an original.

Had a brain phardt this morning and conjured up a finned aluminum cover design in my head. Irv said Indian found that 70% percent of the cooling for the engine is thru the oil and only 30% via air. So, a finned fron timing cover would be a good improvement if I can get it to fit with the extra thickness of the fins.

regards,
                            Rob
                            Did this finned cover ever happen?
                            I am thinking I would make a finned cover with a filter being part of it and was hoping to see an example
                            “People who say it cannot be done, should not interrupt those who are doing it” ― Bernard Shaw

Comment

Sorry, no. It was a passing thought that never materialized. Cover is still leak free.
                              Regards,
                              Rob Sigond
                              AMCA # 1811

Comment

Working...
                              X