No announcement yet.

Side stand question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rob, glad to hear you got things sorted out. The thought of that bike falling over due to stand failure is terrifying!!!
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

Cory,

If it seems terrifying to you, think about how I feel about it. ;-)

regards,
      Rob
      Regards,
      Rob Sigond
      AMCA # 1811

Comment

Originally posted by Snakeoil View Post
        Cory,

If it seems terrifying to you, think about how I feel about it. ;-)

regards,
        Rob
        Exactly what I was thinking!!! ;-)
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

The fix for the fix

I thought I posted it here, but I apparently posted follow up stuff in another thread. Anyway, after talking with a few folks that seem to know their stuff, general consensus was get a repop stand if I'm going to use the bike. So, I rummaged thru Chuck Myles pile and box of stands and found a repop stand with no markings. Turns out, it was probably softer than the original Indian stand I had. It was pretty straight when I got it, but after starting the bike several times, it took on the shape of a piece of well cooked pasta.

Decided that I'd make the stand stronger by adding a gusset that turned into a full length web. I had added a thick foot to the stand by the time I noticed it was bending. So the new foot became a good anchor point for the new web.

Web is 1/4" hot rolled steel I had in my supply of metal. Cut it with my band saw and then ground it to fit the existing profile of the stand. My Snap-On 120 VAC MIG welder was maxed out welding this thick a material, but it did the job.

Here's the finished product. Yeah, I know. It looks like a thick shoe for someone with a short leg. But it's strong and that's what I wanted. I straightened it first in my press, which is what I'll probably do to my OEM stand.

Feel free to point and laugh. I modified it for functionality and not form. If this did not work, my next move was to modify a HD stand to fit the bike.

With use that foot will grind down to a flat surface and offer a wider footprint. Until then, I won't be parking it on any of my friends' blacktop driveways on hot summer days.

regards,
          Rob
          Regards,
          Rob Sigond
          AMCA # 1811

Comment

Working...
          X