Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1940 Amp gauge bezel removal

Hi to all
    The Amp gauge is blown on my 440 and I am told that its the coil winding and that's relatively easy to repair. The gauge is original but how do I remove the bezel. Is screwed on or is it pressed on. I don't want to damage it.
    Jim from Ireland

I happen to have a Hoyt Amp gauge from a '40 Chief that had the bezel cut (I swear I didn't do it). I would suggest carefully peeling the lip of the bezel to clear the flange on the amp housing. I hope this helps you.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Howdy Jim,

If it's a real last year use of a Conn Tel, it has a tightly rolled lip and that bezel is made out something likely no longer malleable (copper/brass?) - this process can be viewed in Jerry Palmer's Restore Your HD being applied to a speedo - around the top flange of the instrument housing. After 72 years it is work hardened for lack of a better term. Attempting to peel it back will likely deform the perimeter of the bezel or worse, fracture it. I take a Dremel with the thinnest disc and carefully cut around the outside radius of that flange neatly so it won't be visible around the gap to the dash. As the housing has a land where the bezel nests, there is a about an 8th inch of housing portruding above the land forming a sleeve to center the bezel when you're ready to reassemble. I use a light app of windshield sealer to reattach and prevent moisture ingress.
      Last edited by PRG; 10-19-2012, 07:55 PM.
      Cheerio,
      Peter
      1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Jim,

I've done this in my lathe using tape round the body and lightly gripping it in a 4 jaw chuck to get it true, then I used a screw cutting tool bit to cut the bezel, worked well, used silicone sealer to re assemble it after finding a doner ammeter for parts.
        Regards

Tim

'36 four. '44 Chief & sidecar. '28 Scout. '67 XLCH. '70 BSA. and a Guzzi...............

Comment

Working...
        X