36-7 four weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 36-7 four weight

I have my 36 four hanging on a engine stand. I need to grab it somehow and put it in my frame. I don't have any idea how much the complete motor weighs. Any ideas. Thanks Stan

Stan
    I used tie down straps to tie my rolling frame to a frame lift with casters. I used ace elastic wraps to protect the paint. I then made a frame that looked like a giant c clamp out of square tubing. On the bottom and top rail of it I drilled a series of holes 1 inch spacing. on the top set of holes I used a 3-8 eye bolt welded closed so that the eye would not spread, the eye bolt was put on to a hoist that is on a trolley on a beam in my shop. I made a bracket to bolt to my motor that could be bolted to one of the holes on the bottom rail of the c frame. The c frame should be able to span the top of your frame rails with a lot of room to spare. The series of holes will let you have different places to attach the motor and to the lift point so you can balance the motor when hanging plus you can use it on different bikes. With the frame able to move 1 way and the hoist moving the other way plus up and down I put my Chief drivetrain in myself with out breaking a sweat or any paint damage. You could use a car engine hoist in place of the beam and trolley. And you will have a frame you can use on a lot of different bikes.
    Thanks Jim D
    Jim D

Comment

All I did to install my 29 Four motor was quite simple. I just used one of those canvass lifting straps wrapped around the two central cylinders and choked it tite on the left side of the engine. When lifted, it holds the engine at 45 degrees to enter the frame. Feed the engine into the frame with the trans section going in first. The chasis was on rubber so I could just move it under my cieling hoist to get it in position. did it slowly by myself and no nicks in the paintwork. Two times now over a few years. Hope this last one is the last time....Joe
      Joe AMCA# 3435

Comment

Howdy chaps,

That's the beauty of pre-38 Four motors, you can actually wrangle one into the frame single handedly. I've always ended up installing the top end from cylinders up after the cases were in the frame.
        Cheerio,
        Peter
        1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

On my Deluxe, I and one other just picked it up off the bench and put it in. It was alittle tricky, but no real problem.I wrapped my frame - fresh paint with towels, installed gas tank after engine was in place - again trying not to damage my paint. Good luck with yours.

Comment

Some one told me that they blocked the engine up on a stand on its side and installed the frame over the engine.

Ed
            Ed Glasgow
            # 2053
            http://www.edsindianbolts.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Edd View Post
              Some one told me that they blocked the engine up on a stand on its side and installed the frame over the engine.

Ed
              Thats the way I install late model Harley engines. I wrap the frame tubes with foam just to be safe. It beats trying to lift the engine by your self.

Comment

Working...
              X