36 four oil filter help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howdy chaps,

TheRedFredster! Nothing liking tantalizing us with no pics...shall we ever see some of this holy grail setup? It's the external oil filter thing alone that stands between me and saying this 441 could ever be AMCA judged (with a straight face) when my descendants go to sell it. I'm trying to envision where it'd go, maybe to the right side of the timing gears at the case seam level and with the housing set back inside of the motor with the head of the filter nearly abutting the inside of the cover? From a packaging standpoint, I'll mention that the first Hiatts in an effort to be discreet used a NASCAR fuel filter. Like a blue anodized cigar, these utilized a tubular stainless screen that varied in the size of the perforated holes according to the degree of filtration desired. No, you won't have the degree of filtration of an oil filter but it would save your motor from metal crumbs. The drawback? No bypass. And as a well worn rich running Four can produce alot of sludge, these filters required a little too close monitoring for most owners.

Joe, I imagine you might have been running some heavy single weight oil at the time? Like the Palmolive commercial of our youths wherein the pearl sank slowly to the bottom to demonstrate the thickness of their product, when I switched from heavy singles to 20-50 far less tranny effluence made it forward to the sump pickup....which understandably doesn't correlate to loosing a aluminum piston where all it has to do is drop straight down and those particles settling much more slowly.
    Cheerio,
    Peter
    1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Peter:- I am running 15-50 Amsoil Raceing with high ZDDP content. That oil was researched a coupla years back and that Amsoil was chosen after all the discussions on these forums. I suspect a porouse casting since the other three pistons come out in perfect condition and are now back in the engine and running. Clearance on the skirts is .006" and no scuffed piston skirts present. Aprox 3000 miles on the engine and I could not find evidence of any lean conditions. All I can do now is run it further and inspect the piston tops once in a while, like every 500 miles or so. I have pics of the failed piston if you want to see them......Joe
      Joe AMCA# 3435

Comment

Working...
      X